Windows 7 wtf 200 processes

nbkp

OK, the last 2 weeks on my computer with win7 has been really slow. When i open up task manager i get over 200 processes runnign at once. 50 of them are cmd.exe and I cant remember the other 50. This makes my pc rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyy slow.

And no its not my comp being crap or anything like that; i have 4GB RAM!!! And a good proscessor etc.

What is it and how can i fix it?

thanks

This reminds me of the story about the dumb blonde who's car broke down. She called a mechanic to fix it, he asked what's wrong, she said it won't start. "Okay what kind of car is it ??" He asks. She tells him it's a red one.

Before anybody can diagnose your problem, we would have to know your computer's specs.

plus what are some f the other processes that are going in multiples?

I remeber having that happen to my Vista, but a simple reboot did the trick. If yours is reoccuring then specifics will hepl diagnose

This reminds me of the story about the dumb blonde who's car broke down. She called a mechanic to fix it, he asked what's wrong, she said it won't start. "Okay what kind of car is it ??" He asks. She tells him it's a red one.

Before anybody can diagnose your problem, we would have to know your computer's specs.

You heard wrong. That was no dumb blonde - It was my grey headed wife

nbkb

I believe you have a .bat file running on start up. Either placed there by a virus ot a dumb program.

Type msconfig in the search box and press enter.
Click continue.
Click the startup tab.
Look for an item that has a command line starting with C:\Recycler\Recycler and uncheck it.
Click ok.

Now open C:\Recycler in Windows Explorer and delete the Recycler subfolder.
Also delete the csrss.bat file.It is probably in the root, Windows, or windows\system32
I dont think it would be computer specific, so your specs are immaterial.

Last edited by a moderator:
my specs:

windows 7 beta build 7000
amd anthlon 64 3800 2.4ghz
143gb hdd
4gb ram (450mhz) (1gb x 4)
nvidia nforce 430
nvidia geforce 7200gs (getting 8600gt)

thanks i am trying now to do the msconfig but i cant scroll down to look for the startup item as it is going so slow. and it looks like there is loads of startp items aswell

With those computer specs, Windows 7 should be running great. Let me ask, did you do a complete fresh install or an upgrade over another program ?? I know I had lots of problems with an upgrade install over Vista. Another question, what anti-virus program are you using ?? That may also have something to do with it.

Sometimes just doing a re-format and fresh install takes less time than trying to troubleshoot a serious problem, or series of problems. What I would do if I this were happening to me, I would first try a system restore back to a time before this started happening, if that didn't fix it, I would just do the fresh install and be done with it in a couple of hours. I would also try using a different A-V program. That may be the culprit.

:)

With msconfig open, go to the Startup tab and hit the Alt+PtrScrn keys. Then open Paint and choose paste, save it as Startup and attach the file here for us to review.

If you do have a..bat file running, that is is definitely the problem

Here's my screen shot as an example:

ANd make sure, under the first tab "general", you have "selective startup" chosen, otherwise you will reload all the startup items you are unchecking. Many programs today, automatically place there.exe in the Msconfig as a startup file, when in most cases they run manually on demand.
As a very broad rule, for the purpose of diagnosing you fault, you only really need the graphics driver running. Lokk here. This is my normal Msconfig.

i have not .bat file

and i have norton but it has expired (i can still do full scan)

When I first installed Windows 7 I used Norton's 360 beta program and had nothing but trouble from the time I installed it. So I tried to remove it but had even more problems doing that. It wouldn't un-install properly. So I got mad and said the heck with it, and reformated my disk and re-installed Windows 7 just to get Norton off my computer, then I used AVG Free for anti-virus program, and haven't had any problems since.

Your mileage may vary.

:)

Hi Reghakr.
I am also wary of Norton.
It is a shame. In the Dos days I almost hero worshipped Peter Norton. A far as I was concerned, he produced the only 100% useable tools on the market. After the sale of the company, they began to add on and the program(s) fell into bad times.
Bu. I have read that Norton 2009 is a winner. Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom