Windows 7 x64 Unknown User Acc in registry and security tab

matdexter

Hi All,

First time I have posted here......ok, brand new install of Win7 x64.

I have just my username acc as Administrator, no UAC levels selected, take ownership context menu installed, used it only on one or two folders only to allow access for software installs.

Have installed all my proggies, say 30 odd.

Ok, so there is an unknown user account - see reg pic (that is not my image but mine is the same unknown user)

It appears on all folders practiacally in all my drives, go to the registry and it sits there along with a classes version of that reg folder, so two folders under the hkey_users.

so its about 4 S folders with short names like S-1-111-0000 and then these two folders with the long numbers, tha same that you see in the pic.

So how do I get rid of the user folders from the Reg and the security tab from all folders.

I have tried to delete them from reg but the issue is most of my programs are found under this user??

When I only have one user which I am the administrator for.

Is it possible to export the contents of these reg folders and then import them to another folder under users like my username, I dont know how to do it.

OR IS THERE A SIMPLER WAY??

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 798
Have you checked Help and Support for "Deleting a user account"? It is explained there, but if that does not work, let us know. I would think, if the account had been partially deleted, this process might have a problem.

hi there,

Thanks for replying back to me saltgrass, I exported those folders first before I deleted them, I opened up a program and its like it reinstalled it from the installer then worked, so I said ok. STOP.

I imported those folders back so no change exists where the system is as is.

Now I have only one account in the system so under users is my account only??

PLEASE HELP!!!

I think I would need to access you system to check what could be done. But have you tried to take ownership of the account you have in your attachment? Once you take ownership, you will need to back out of the dialog and then go back and give yourself full control.

Could it be the unknown user is the "Take Ownership" context menu installation?

Excellent point....

So if I take ownership then all the reg entries under this unknown user in HKEY_USERS will then move to my (me as user) S reg folder from the Take Ownership??

How do add the Correct Take Ownership to my registry which has me as the user in the Take Ownership reg file to merge.

Would you or anyone else have a TAKE OWNERSHIP reg file which is for me the Admin User??

AND ONCE I TAKE OWNERSHIP WILL THIS ALLOW ME TO MOVE THAT UNKNOWN USER FROM THE HKEY_USERS REG FOLDERS, THE CONTENTS AT THE MOMENT IS A LOT OF PROGGIES ETC UNDER SOFTWARE, BUT IF I TAKE OWNERSHIP AS I ASKED BEFORE DO THOSE REG FOLDERS ALSO MOVE TO THE OTHER HKEY_USERS REG FOLDERS WHICH IS ME THE USER???

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Since I do not know how such a take owner setup works, I cannot advise one way or the other. I have no reason to use such a setup since I want Win 7 to be able to maintain its own security.

Hi there,

What reg file or script are you using to install the Take Ownership today? I might have one that should grant the administrators group the rights to the folder, however I'm not sure if thats what you need?

-The Digital jedi

Back