Windows 7 XP 32-bit drivers--Which is best? 32-bit Win7 or 64-bit Win7 w/XP Virtual Mode??

kaz

I have quite a few legacy XP programs that use 32-bit drivers.

Would I find more overall compatibility using:

1. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate using the "XP Virtual Mode"

or

2. 32-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium?

Thanks!!

Hi

You shouldn't have any problem running 32 bit apps in 64 bit.

The only software that I found that wouldn't run was Adobe Indesign CS3.
I had to upgrade it, everything else works even my old Tomb Raider games from the 90s.

If you haven't purchased anything I'd go with 64 bit Windows 7 or wait for Windows 8 next month.

On the other hand if you already have both of these, it depends on how much ram you want to run.
If it's under 3 gigs I'd go with 32 bit Windows 7, if it's more go with the 64 bit XP, though 64 bit Windows 7 would be better.

You will be able to buy Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for only $40 next month.

Windows 8 Pro upgrade set for $39.99, Media Center too | Microsoft - CNET News

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

I realize the vast majority of 32-bit XP apps run fine in the 64-bit environment. However, I'm using some older audio and diagnostic automotive equipment that only has 32-bit drivers available. Unfortunately, these 32-bit drivers will not install properly using 64-bit Windows 7.

Would I have more compatibility with these 32-bit drivers using the 64-bit Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate "XP Virtual Mode", or using a 32-bit version of Windows 7?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi

What do you have installed on the computer right now?

If you aren't running more the 3 gigabytes of ram it would be simpler to just run 32 bit Windows 7.
Do you know if there are any Windows 7 specific 32 bit drivers for your software?

I suppose that it's not a sure thing that the drivers will work in Windows 7 32 bit, but I would expect them to.
I've never run across anything that would run in Windows XP that wouldn't run in Windows 7 32 bit.

If you already have Windows 7 64 Ultimate installed then I'd try the Virtual XP, I've never done this myself so my experience is limited on how all of that works.

Mike

Last edited:
What exactly do you have that requires 32-bit drivers? Are you absolutely sure there are no 64-bit drivers?

I hope you are not confusing 32-bit application with an applications that use 32-bit drivers for connected hardware. Windows 7 64-bit will natively run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. The biggest problems are old 16-bit applications and hardware that does not have 64-bit drivers.

Windows 7 64-bit will require 64-bit drivers for all hardware. Windows 7 32-bit will run 16-bit applications but Windows 7 64-bit will not. Windows virtualization software know as Virtual PC & XP Mode can help with legacy issues in Windows 7 64-bit.

I have quite a few legacy XP programs that use 32-bit drivers.

Would I find more overall compatibility using:

1. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate using the "XP Virtual Mode"

or

2. 32-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium?

Thanks!!

Well, it depends on the RAM. If you are running 1 GB machine, you would be able to run 32-bit OS finely,but if you are running 2GB machine, 64-bit OS is great.

For the record; I wouldn't advise installing Windows 7 64-bit with the intension of using Virtual PC/XP Mode, unless there was at least 4GB of memory available. Each installed virtual machine needs its own designated memory. That would be 2GB to 3GB of memory for Windows 7 and at least another 500MB for XP Mode.

Back