Windows 7 XP to 7

smiley rulez

hi all

I need some advice on how to install windows 7 professional which i can get free from my college.

ive put it on a DVD read to install but i need advice.

my current OS is windows XP home 32BIT

i have two hard drives a 149GB and the other 80GB

Xp is installed on the 149gb
and my documents are on the 80GB
i want to know if doing a dual boot is best or can i do a clean install on the first hard drive and keep my documents on the second?

Sure you can just choose the 149g drive during installation. If you are concerned just temporary unplug your secondary drive before the install and it won't be an option.

If you want to dual boot then you need to break up the 149g drive and reinstall XP on one part and 7 on the other. Then you need to install a boot loader (do not know if windows has an internal boot loader as part of its files). Somebody else may be able to help you here.

Windows 7 creates the boot loader menu when it detects previous windows on other drives automatically.

thanks for the replies.

so if i do a clean install on the 149GB my documents on the 80GB will stay untouched?
meaning i can then move them to the 149GB after install ?

Yep, this is how all of my computers are set up. By having a second drive in the machine, it allows you to put important files on the second drive and you can then reinstall windows on the main drive when ever you need to w/o having to worry about backing up first. Although, i would encourage you to rearrange your drives. If you make the 80gig C drive and install windows on it then you can have more space to store "stuff" by using the 149g as your secondary drive. But if you want to dual boot then leave the big one your main.

Yep, this is how all of my computers are set up. By having a second drive in the machine, it allows you to put important files on the second drive and you can then reinstall windows on the main drive when ever you need to w/o having to worry about backing up first. Although, i would encourage you to rearrange your drives. If you make the 80gig C drive and install windows on it then you can have more space to store "stuff" by using the 149g as your secondary drive. But if you want to dual boot then leave the big one your main.

thank you once again.

how do i make the 80 gb a C: and the 149 to a D: drive ?

Xp is installed on the 149gb
and my documents are on the 80GB
i want to know if doing a dual boot is best or can i do a clean install on the first hard drive and keep my documents on the second?

You can copy your documents from the 80 GB to your XP's 149 Gb, and then install Win7 to the 80 GB partition. :)

Or you can reallocate your hard drive partitions when installing from XP or Win7 DVD - in that case you will lose your data.

It is also possible to use smth like Partition Magic, but it's harder and longer and I think no need to.

Just for the sake of argument.,.....

Please keep in mind that,,,, having your data on a second drive, is not protection from losing that data.
You should have an external drive and run regular backups to it as well.

2 groups "Those who WILL lose data and those you HAVE lost data."
Do yourself the favor and back it up to an external source.
Also,, you should be backing up your data during any kind of OS installation.

Otherwise,, agree with other posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Keep one thing in your mind

When debating in your mind about keeping your work on a separate partition from the OS, just remember that a failed harddrive affects all partitions on that physical harddrive and all the partitions in the world will not protect you from the most common harddrive failure - a mechanical failure of the harddrive itself. An external harddrive is, more often than anything else, the recommended device/procedure to protect your "stuff" from loss. This gives you duplication on a totally separate mechanical device. Duplication is far, far more secure than virtual separation (partitions).

Back