Windows 7 XP won't cooperate with Windows 7 drive

mojoel

I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 120GB. I had the bright idea of dual booting Windows 7. So, I decided I would put that on the 320GB. Windows 7 worked fine but would not dual boot with the XP install. The XP install is intact, but the only way to boot it is to unplug the 320GB Windows 7 drive. I have “removedâ€Â￾ Windows 7, but I think the MBR is still there locking me out of my XP install. I’ve tried several things: recovery console with “bootcfg /rebuildâ€Â￾, recovery console with fixmbr, installing XP overtop, messing in CMOS, fixing the boot.ini file, moving the drives around on my SATA ports.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My setup:
Asus M3A78-CM
Athlon X2 5200+
2@2GB 800MHz Crucial
Pioneer DVD±RW
BFG 9600GT
WD 120GB
WD 320GB
WD 320GB

Have you tried using EasyBCD at all? It's a very easy to use app that allows you to tweak the boot manager to your liking.. you can get it from here:

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

I know it has worked for many others having very similiar problems... ;) I'd give that a try.. hopefully it will solve this problem for you.. if not let us know and we'll see if there's something else that may help...

Agreed with radenight on this one somehow your boot configuration is messed up and using the easybcd program should fix it. Let us know how it goes!

Back