Hello,
I'm trying to install Windows Vista on my computer:
1. Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66 GHz​
2. Intel DG31PR
3. 2048 MB DDR2 SDRAM
4. NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS.

I'm facing a problem while booting through Windows Vista DVD, it shows message:
"
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.
"

And when I try to run the setup through Windows XP, it gives message:
"
Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows, restart the installation. Error code: 0x7A
"
I'm not able to figure out the problem.
Could anybody help me?

with best regards,
Madhav.​

The error code points to a system file or driver being corrupted. Have you used this disk for installation purposes before? Is the disk damaged in some way, scratched perhaps.
Also how are you trying to install vista? Did you change the boot order to boot form CD/DVD first? If not, change the boot order via the bios and boot from the disk. This way you will be able to reformat and do a clean install.

Hi there,
I'm installing Vista from DVD, and I had used this DVD two months back, and it was working fine at that time.
I'm trying for clean install, and hence I have selected DVD as my primary boot device.
I guess I need to check the DVD for errors now.

Thanks.
Madhav.

If the disk looks ok then check the HDD. It may have some bad sectors or has just plain 'had it'..

I am getting this same error message on a newly built pc with a brand new hard drive. I have tried several installation disks from a variety of sources and I get this message before it ever even gets to the installation screen. I have reseated everything in the pc from the motherboard to the drives to the ram. I even reseated the power supply. Same error message. It gets to basically the end of the loading files on the windows installtion and then this message comes up. When I hit enter it gives me the option to go to windows setup. When I choose that it brings me right back to the error message. I am a complete loss here. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Back