Windows 8.1 +1 for Windows 8.1

badrobot

I downloaded the latest update for Windows 8 the other night. I haven't played much around it but I think the best thing about the update is the return of "X" button for closing apps which I am sure is greatly appreciated by mouse lovers.

Nice one Microsoft!

Cheers!

Hate to tell you but, clicking the X doesn't fully shut down the app. It still run's in the background. The drag down/scroll/swipe down method fully closes the app.

I actually didn't know that. I only played with it quickly and didn't realize how it actually works. So, I am pulling my positive feedback back. MS still sucks. If "x" does not close the app, then they should have used "-" for minimize.
The last update actually corrupted a lot of pre-installed apps including the WinStore itself.

What a way to SUCK Microsoft!

Last edited:
I actually didn't know that. I only played with it quickly and didn't realize how it actually works. So, I am pulling my positive feedback back. MS still sucks. If "x" does not close the app, then they should have used "-" for minimize.
The last update actually corrupted a lot of pre-installed apps including the WinStore itself.

What a way to SUCK Microsoft!
You know macs do the same thing in OSX when you hit the close button so we know who microsoft is taking lessons from now.
The thing is its not a bad idea to do this sort of thing as macs do it all the time and it does help load the apps faster but windows is not really good at memory management like OSX is thus why its a poor idea in windows nonetheless.

MS should be working on optimizing memory usage rather cheating and doing the easiest workaround to make app load times feel faster. How hard is it for them to add another button beside the "X" button that suspends the app instead of closing it completely? The thing about Microsoft approach, they push everything down your throat instead of asking the users what they want.

MS should be working on optimizing memory usage rather cheating and doing the easiest workaround to make app load times feel faster. How hard is it for them to add another button beside the "X" button that suspends the app instead of closing it completely? The thing about Microsoft approach, they push everything down your throat instead of asking the users what they want.
This is part of the reason why I use linux, sure its not a pertfect solution to this kind of thing but linux can be made your system instead of something cooked by a big company

But MS IS optimizing memory usage. If you open another program that needs the memory reserved by any suspended app, then that memory will be released for use by the system.

I just use the old way of dragging down with the mouse to close them. It's just as fast as waiting for the X to appear. Maybe 2 second's longer. That way they are closed.

The push from Microsoft is more about monitoring software from the code and completely shutting down an app (as opposed to just suspending it) stops higher software (like system center) from being able to track its performance.

That’s great in a large network with 1 million plus computers but the average Joe only cares about single system performance and that does indeed suffer… I personally see this speed hit on my work laptop (an Asus sonicmaster with 8 & 8.1.1 as dual boot). The basic 8 boot just started life as a platform for running Vm-ware-workstation at work but I've started using it for other times because the speed is better… nothing earth-shattering but noticeable.

people actually use Win 8?

After my first glimpse at a Win 8 review I was very glad I kept Win 7 :p

Windows 7 FTW!

Yeah but the support leak for windows 7 is showing a lot.
Its the primary reason why i stopped using windows 7.
I will try again with windows 9, hopefully that will get extended support.

Back