Windows 7 10% increase in RAM usage in 7100 x64 vs 7048 x64,

when my computer was idle in 7048 x64 my ram would stay at 15% of 8190mb. Now in 7100 it stays at 25%. Any helpful comments would be great. anyone else noticing this?

It's likely due to one of two things;

#1. The time at which you checked "idle"; Windows 7 will idle lower, after 12 hours usage than after first install. This is because of the fact that while everything is installed when you get to windows, it isn't all configured and fully done being loaded. Indexing is being done, defragging, etc, and though they aren't being done as one huge 'take up all your ram' process, they are running in the background, and as such, results can be skewed.

#2. Superfetch may have been modified. It's possible that Superfetch has been tuned between builds, and as such will 'preload' programs into memory differently, producing a different result in RAM usage.

Hi there

The fact that it actually uses more memory (if indeed it does) is not necessarily a bad thing "per se".
It's possible for example that the OS is looking more actively for Interrupts so it can launch a work process immediately. If the OS was 100% sleeping you'd have quite a "lag" in kickstarting a process when you needed to do something. By having a "Task Manager" cycling around and looking for processes can be much better than the OS in near "sleeo mode" using almost nothing.

Real RAM allocation in an OS is a VERY complex topic -- the fact that 7100 *might* be using more when apparently Idle doesn't mean that you can run fewer applications or the OS is more inefficient. As the number of processes increases then the "Task Dispatcher" doesn't actually have to go hunting around looking for more work.

You really need to comapre the builds running similar applications after they've both been stabilized for a while on your system. Comparing it "Straight out of the Box" isn't a valid "test set". You need to have typical everyday scenarios.

Cheers
jimbo

It's likely due to one of two things;

#1. The time at which you checked "idle"; Windows 7 will idle lower, after 12 hours usage than after first install. This is because of the fact that while everything is installed when you get to windows, it isn't all configured and fully done being loaded. Indexing is being done, defragging, etc, and though they aren't being done as one huge 'take up all your ram' process, they are running in the background, and as such, results can be skewed.

#2. Superfetch may have been modified. It's possible that Superfetch has been tuned between builds, and as such will 'preload' programs into memory differently, producing a different result in RAM usage.

thank you very much kyle , your anwsers always are on the spot:). Just to clarify, i noticed it in build 7077 also, i have had 7100 x64 on my rig since it leaked and it still does it. 3 days.

Hi there

The fact that it actually uses more memory (if indeed it does) is not necessarily a bad thing "per se".
It's possible for example that the OS is looking more actively for Interrupts so it can launch a work process immediately. If the OS was 100% sleeping you'd have quite a "lag" in kickstarting a process when you needed to do something. By having a "Task Manager" cycling around and looking for processes can be much better than the OS in near "sleeo mode" using almost nothing.

Real RAM allocation in an OS is a VERY complex topic -- the fact that 7100 *might* be using more when apparently Idle doesn't mean that you can run fewer applications or the OS is more inefficient. As the number of processes increases then the "Task Dispatcher" doesn't actually have to go hunting around looking for more work.

You really need to comapre the builds running similar applications after they've both been stabilized for a while on your system. Comparing it "Straight out of the Box" isn't a valid "test set". You need to have typical everyday scenarios.

Cheers
jimbo

thanks jimbo, very detailed anwser, I am really just wondering if I am the only one who notices this. I have the gagdet "cpu usage" on my desktop all the time and it is just kinda odd that it would use more ram than before. No big deal, just thought I would toss it out there and see if anybody else had the same issue. once again thanks.:)

I just checked mine, I'm idling at 30% with 4 gigs ram, on the 7000 beta build.

:)
hey that is perfect...if u had 8 gb of ram it would be 15%. If you upgrade to the RC let me know if your ram usage goes up. thanks and all who replied get rep power!!!!!!!!:razz:

Last edited:
thank you very much kyle , your anwsers always are on the spot:). Just to clarify, i noticed it in build 7077 also, i have had 7100 x64 on my rig since it leaked and it still does it. 3 days.

thanks jimbo, very detailed anwser, I am really just wondering if I am the only one who notices this. I have the gagdet "cpu usage" on my desktop all the time and it is just kinda odd that it would use more ram than before. No big deal, just thought I would toss it out there and see if anybody else had the same issue. once again thanks.:)

hey that is perfect...if u had 8 gb of ram it would be 15%. If you upgrade to the RC let me know if your ram usage goes up. thanks and all who replied get rep power!!!!!!!!:razz:

I have four gig of mem on my 64x 7100 windows 7

Link Removed due to 404 Error

hate to say but after i restarted it did it again. I am I the only one who noticed this?????????

feel free to close this thread. I have fixed the issue. It was the media player network sharing service. It was making my computer run at 45% for an hour or more when I restarted. also it was the reason for the high ram amount. After turning off that service, and superfetch. my computer idles at 12% ram usage. and has 32 processes. thanks again to all who commented.:D

Last edited:
Back