Windows 10 10049 Downloading now...

Saltgrass, Mike, and Sonny:

Here's a couple of screenshots from my successful Build 10049 download/install that may be of interest to other Win10 TP folks...
Note that it was downloaded via Windows Update, Fast Ring.

Cheers! <<<BBJ>>>

**oops! tried posting some images through Media Embed; but it failed. This message was a duplicate, but I can't seem to delete it!** sorry!

If your response is for me, 10051 is not an official release and will probably never be an .iso file. Possibly the next official build will be a later build number.

You say your download speed is 6-7 MBps, is that a typo and you mean Mbps?

There is someone in another forum posting about long install times. In their case it was related to language packs and they made a point if you upgraded from build 9926 the install would not suffer due to the language pack slowdown.

If you have a normal type install, and of course it depends on how much data has to be backed up, I would think 3-4 hours would be a maximum install period. These builds are different in that they are downloading during the install which slows down the process. I just discovered my 10051 install would not complete until I had an active network connection. With no connection, the install kept rebooting and asking to supply the connection and when I did, the install completed.

Aha, I see. Yes, I meant Mbps. oops!

Yes, I saw that too. That's why I quantified my install time with an explanation. Most folks like my son, who lives in an urban area; gets about 35Mbps via Cox. I understand that a lot more urban areas are offering 100Mbps or better; of course if you have the money...

Interesting even more. Do you know what your download speed is on your connection? I have DSL versus lots of folks have Cable, which is more expensive and faster as we all know. 3-4 hrs. for the entire process is one heak of a lot faster than mine was. Yet another reason, we TP testers are probably asking for reliable ISO files.

My data and some basic apps were on this 10041 build; prior to 10049 upgrade. Backup through Acronis & Macrium runs around 24.5GB for Win10, apps, and some maintenance utility programs I use. My drive is the Kingston 120GB SSD (brand new) as I mentioned in the thread, and per Mike's comments, I had 80% of the drive free. Pretty much a vanilla install if you don't count the webupdates; Adobe Reader/Air/Shockwave, and Java8u40 and MS Office 2007 Ent SP3, and Avast AV Free 2015.

Thanks for answering back about the 10051! Normally, I wouldn't ask where or how you got it. However, I think I mentioned I'm doing a Win10 presentation for my local Computer Club and just am trying to show them the latest version for the Live Demo part of the presentation. I was happy with the 9926 build except for no SPARTAN and CORTANA not workijng. I'll probably just stick with this 10049; as those things appeared to be solved. Thanks for yours and everyone's help in getting to 10049!

<<<BBJ>>>

If your response is for me, 10051 is not an official release and will probably never be an .iso file. Possibly the next official build will be a later build number.

You say your download speed is 6-7 MBps, is that a typo and you mean Mbps?

There is someone in another forum posting about long install times. In their case it was related to language packs and they made a point if you upgraded from build 9926 the install would not suffer due to the language pack slowdown.

If you have a normal type install, and of course it depends on how much data has to be backed up, I would think 3-4 hours would be a maximum install period. These builds are different in that they are downloading during the install which slows down the process. I just discovered my 10051 install would not complete until I had an active network connection. With no connection, the install kept rebooting and asking to supply the connection and when I did, the install completed.

>>>Saltgrass, hi. I made a big oops looking back over my notes from my 10049 install. My total download & install time was 12hours 15min., not 24 hrs. 15 min. <embarassed>. This is sort of in line with Mike Hawthorne's time and a couple of others. That's about 8 hrs. for the download and 4 hrs. or so for the install portion. Just thought I'd clear that up. My connection is slow, but not that slow!!

Cheers! <<<BBJ>>>

Hi BIGBEARJEDI, Torrents are not the way I like to go either. I decided today to do a clean install and did the upgrade to 10049. It took me 10 hours. I only have 5 MB and still that was slower than any other download I have done. The only thing is my disk cleaner doesn't work. Just using ccleaner for now.

That's great! I've noticed that some utility Apps and AV programs do not work as I mentioned in my 10041 Bug Report & Review. I haven't tried 3 of them yet on 10049, but I will soon. Those 3 require SAFE MODE, and I haven't attempted that yet as it did not work on 10041. Right now I'm content with the fact that both SPARTAN and CORTANA work for my Computer Club presentation I can demo them. It's interesting that CORTANA let's you give voice commands, but she doesn't speak to me as Mike mentioned; but that's ok. I'm also experimenting with building Disk images of each Build; but right now Macrium doesn't work, so I am trying Acronis. More on that later.

Enjoy your 10049! <<<BBJ>>>

While I was downloading Build 10049 yesterday I spent over 4 hours on the phone with a Microsoft Windows 10 tech. The guy was great. I suggest if anyone has problems to call them. Be sure to ask for a windows 10 tech.

That's interesting. So, these were all Win10 build 10049 issues, or were you concerned about the length of time the download/install was taking??

Curious.
<<<BBJ>>>

When I first called it was to see why I couldn't get the files I needed for net frame work 3.5. That is when I let him take control of my computer. He was surprised it was taking so long to download 10049. During that time I had some questions to ask him and he also uploaded some files to be analyzed to help fix some of the problems in windows builds. I would say Mike should give them a call and see what is going on with Spartan.

The only problem he couldn't fix was my disk cleaner. I emailed him about it and he told me That some computers it worked fine and on others it just didn't work. He suggested to just wait until build 1051 came out.

In the other thread Mike started about long install times , Trouble brought up the issue of Language Packs.

I just checked mine and had around 25 on my current install. I have not checked my Windows.old folder but some folks are saying the packs are also sitting there.

I suppose the bottom line is, if you have a smaller SSD, you may want to make sure this is not a problem for you. I am currently uninstalling the Language Packs as I type this.

http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-10-tp-10049-long-install.207920/#post-636442

Run into a lot of problems with Build 11049. The system restore and turn on or off features quit working. It would cause the computer to freeze. Called Microsoft and the tech finally got it working. One good thing came out of all this. Microsoft downloaded an iso file for me. Have it on dvd so if there is any more problems I will just do a clean install.

Sonny, you do know once you upgrade to a new build the install.esd stays in the C:\RecoveryImage folder. There are instructions as to how to make an .iso, even on Microsoft's Windows Insiders forum.

Saltgrass, I only was able to get that to work once. Anyway I have got one now if I need it. I have a feeling a new build will be coming out soon I hope.

I do hope with the next upgrades to come that they do have an ISO file so I can do a clean install. I have not had nothing but trouble with the upgrades even though Microsoft help me through most of it. Microsoft had me download an iso file so they could repair my os. After all that my system still seemed sluggish. I finally used the iso file to do a clean install. The difference is day and night. My system is running as good as I could ask for.

If no more iso files are to come I will not bother wasting my time on the upgrades. Got an email that the Microsoft tech is going to call me back Tuesday morning. I will let her know just how I feel and why.

Sonny I'm with you on the upgrades. I want an ISO for a clean install. I don't know why MS is being so pigheaded about providing ISOs. There was a steady strean of leaked ISOs for Windows 7 and MS didn't seem to care.
Joe

Joe I feel it is a waste of my time to spend 14 hours like I did this last time to upgrade and then end up doing a clean install. If Microsoft wants people to test Win 10 they should make it easy for them to do. Also the upgrades don't seem to be putting files in when going through the update process. Now the iso's you can make work ok. I don't understand it. Still a waste of my time going that route.

Back
Top Bottom