Windows 10 10074-System not staying asleep.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I can put my system to sleep and it will wake up after about 5 seconds. I found something I had not seen before and was wondering if anyone knew what it was. As far as I know, I do not have any streaming music happening.

I just changed my power settings to see if the Multimedia Streaming options were involved but need some time to evaluate.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10074]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_10438637&REV_1000\4&21453ba9&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Also, the Registry entry below looks a little strange or at least I have not seen it before. I was thinking all this might be related to Cortana, but just a guess. The entry below the Registry key interesting..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Realtek\Audio\RtkNGUI64\General

\\?\HDAUDIO#FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_10438637&REV_1000#4&21453BA9&0&0001#{6994AD04-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0C9223196}\REARLINEOUTWAVE3

Thanks..

I don't think this is fully functional in Windows 10, yet, but I guess you have tried adjusting these :

Capture.PNG

Thanks Dave, that is always the first thing I look at. But in this circumstance, it is not waking up, but not being allowed to sleep.

I am going to track down why the Realtek entry is there. It may be related to my NAS where I store music. If it is, I don't understand why the request would be active if no music was actually being played. But I have been playing around trying to see new things in Windows 10 and I may have set something up without realizing it.

I just noticed on my other system, I have a audio listing for my webcam which contains a microphone. Since I am using a headset with a microphone on the original system, maybe it is referring to that. The streaming might not be to a network system, but internally... I will have to check, although I have almost gotten Cortana to behave correctly.

I am still using the basic Windows 10 drivers on both of these systems so that might effect how devices on the different systems are configured.

I see you have the LM version of your Network Adapter. I had a heck of a time in Windows 8 with one of those and whether it was shows as a V or as an LM. I think that was on my Z77 motherboard which I am not currently using. That actual device designation may be different though, I think mine had a 259 for part of the model.

It may be related to my NAS where I store music
I had some issues with sleep going back to early windows 8, due to what I suspect was, the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Services"
Try stopping the service and setting it to manual. If that doesn't work try setting it to disable, just to see if that might be the issue.

OK Trouble, I will try that if the current test is not successful.

Since the Realtek audio stream does seem to be the microphone, I disabled it to see what would happen. The system did go to sleep right on time. I will be testing more to see if it continues and if it stays asleep when put there manually.

But right now, in 10074, Cortana and the Video Drivers are working better. Things seem to improve a time after the clean install was done. Possibly related to the update after the update or something else helping the system work better.

Thanks..

Funny, I had the problem in the prior build but now it seems to sleep fine.
I have had problems with the video coming back when I wake it up, but I think that's related to the new video drivers.
I've been thinking about rolling them back.

This is another indication of how careful MS should be, when assessing the total worth of feedback. The computer I am using right now, is a general household computer. It is used casually by my wife and, for specific purposes, by my children and grandchildren on their flying visits. I , and I can see on the various forums, have sleep set on "never". Our initial problem in the first builds, was that it had a problem, connected with the hibernate settings, in waking up! It looks like MS have to work hard on both aspects of this in the next couple of months.

I have now tested both of my systems and they exhibit the same condition. Both are signed in on Microsoft Accounts and I have been testing Cortana on both.

Disabling the Microphone removes the audio stream configuration and the systems sleep normally. Re-enabling the microphone resets the audio streaming. Anyone having this situation, make sure you have the Recording Devices dialog set to see disabled devices so you can find the microphone if you try this.

Cortana, if it is Cortana, was finally starting to respond to voice in a more consistent manner...maybe this is a temporary fix and will be massaged in future builds.

My second system shows this:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] HD Pro Webcam C920 (USB\VID_046D&PID_082D&MI_02\7&1290ec2d&0&0002)
An audio stream is currently in use.
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

Mike, the newest Video drivers seem to work best for me. the 349.9 ones were always throwing errors. The latter two seem to work better but I may not have noticed some problems since my system has not been sleeping. The video drivers do seem to be tied directly to some of the Desktop situations concerning the Start Screen opening without being requested....

Dave, my desktop system does not hibernate, so I don't have a system which does to test... I am about ready for a new laptop, but since Windows 10 is changing in ways only newer technology could take advantage, I am thinking waiting for such hardware improvements on new machines might be best.

Hi

I don't have any problems with the new drivers for the most part, the restarting after sleep issues seems to have resolved it'self.

I don't have Hibernate or Sleep mode turned on but I usually put my computer to sleep manually when I'm not using it.

I have wondered why the Start screen seems to be open when I don't expect it to, but I didn't connect that with the video drivers.

I'm probably the only person here who used Stereo 3D a lot, or at all.

That's where I'm seeing the problems, mainly that you can't turn on Anti-Aliasing and run 3D Vision with out the video freezing up.

I didn't have this problem with the earlier driver even in this build, it only started when I upgraded the video driver.

For now I'll just ignore Anti-Aliasing, it's the biggest resource hog in graphics anyway, but I do usually have it turned on.

Mike

Last edited:
Back