Windows 10 1903 upgrade mandatory?

Fenway16

Honorable Member
Perhaps mandatory is too strong a word but from what I hear, these giant upgrades to os can wreak havoc. Is it necessary to do the upgrade and if you don't what are the ramifications down the line? Thanks.

They are not "mandatory" but have had some good testing before full release and ultimately you need to keep up to date for all sorts of reasons. I always make a regular full backup image using the free version of Macrium Reflect - then if I do have problems I can run a full recovery.

I saw a post on cnet page by a user - He said it can take as long as overnight for the process. I am going to run the Dell support assist before I run the upgrade. Also, do you recommend waiting a bit of time (month) before doing the upgrade. Thanks for your help.

It's all down to personal preference but as long as I'm in control with my regular round of full backup images (I maintain the three most recent backups on an external drive.) I don't worry and have personally never suffered any update problems.

As Pat said. I read posts of update disasters, but, like Pat, I have had a cllear run on the several computers I manage for old folks

Well being an old folk, I like a clear path to success and hopefully will find it. One more question which is probably dumb but here goes - with this major upgrade I am assuming (hate to assume but there it is) that all of my software will need to be reinstalled...thanks.

BUT, if you feel competent enough, a fresh install and reinstallation of your software can be a good thing. Keep in mind, as Pat said, have a reliable and up to date

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom