Windows 7 2 icons in taskbar to same program?

carsten888

How do I add an extra icon in the taskbar to a program for which there is already an icon?

I always have 2 firefox browsers open, one for online, one for offline (my development server). Switching to the other browser by hovering over and then clicking the other browser instance, is just such a roundabout way.

old way in XP:
- click on browser icon in taskbar :)

new way
- hover over firefox icon
- click one of the previews and hope it is the right one :frown:

So far I think working with windows 7 means more mouse-movements and more mouse-clicks, particulary in the explorer (which is driving me INSANE). I would have thought in this day and age of RSI windows would do their best to reduce mousemovent and mouse clicks to a minimum. I think that is a lost opportunity. :frown:

How to add an extra icon in the taskbar?

If you have text showing on the taskbar, rename the firefox items (FF1 FF2 etc) Oherwise, you could have another FF shortcut on the desktop.
Third way, Right click the Taskbar icon. Right click Firefox and select properties. Then "change the icon" for something else

If you have text showing on the taskbar, rename the firefox items (FF1 FF2 etc) .
I renamed the text of the desktop shortcut, but moving to taskbar is still not possible.
Oherwise, you could have another FF shortcut on the desktop.
yes, i can have as many shortcuts on the desktop, but then switching to the other browser is not possible through the taskbar.
Third way, Right click the Taskbar icon. Right click Firefox and select properties. Then "change the icon" for something else
if you right-clik a taskbar icon there is no option to change the icon. If you clcik on 'firefox' another browser opens. In firefox is no option to edit the icon.

Would changing the icon of a shortcut be enough to trick windows 7 into thinking the second shortcut is a different program, so it would allow me to place the 2nd shortcut on the task bar?

Right click, for example, the FF icn on the taskbar. In the popup, Right click the FF option again and select properties.

This is what I get.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

How do you get two instances of Firefox to run.
When I try to open another instance of FireFox I get an error message.

How do I add an extra icon in the taskbar to a program for which there is already an icon?

I always have 2 firefox browsers open, one for online, one for offline (my development server). Switching to the other browser by hovering over and then clicking the other browser instance, is just such a roundabout way.

old way in XP:
- click on browser icon in taskbar :)

new way
- hover over firefox icon
- click one of the previews and hope it is the right one :frown:

So far I think working with windows 7 means more mouse-movements and more mouse-clicks, particulary in the explorer (which is driving me INSANE). I would have thought in this day and age of RSI windows would do their best to reduce mousemovent and mouse clicks to a minimum. I think that is a lost opportunity. :frown:

How to add an extra icon in the taskbar?

You probably have 2 different installations of Firefox. Navigate to each of the two installations' exe's, right click on each of them and select "Pin to tray." I use 1 regular FF and 1 portable, have no problem having each version in my tray.

+ of course you can pin ANY shortcut/exe to tray and then edit it manually with the path of the program you need.

I figured out how to run two instances of FireFox at the same time.
There is an extension for all versions of FireFox called MR Tech toolkit that allows you customize the title bar.
By using the name version option for each Firefox version you will see that version in the titlebar.
By hovering the mouse over the icon(s) in the taskbar when they are running you will see the different versions as reported in the title bar.

Mr. Tech Toolkit has a tab under general that's called Window Title Options.
You would open that tab and check the "use custom window title below" box and then delete the default info in the template field and replace it with
Code:
${name} ${version}
exactly as shown.
Click apply and the change will take effect.

Last edited:
if you right click on task bar and go to properties you can change the "taskbar settings" to only combine icons when task bar is full.

Back