Windows 7 32 bit games crash(corrupt video+sound) after 5 minutes and then only 64bit ie work?

mtcn77

Hi guys, first and foremost thank you for your time for reading this. You can find the technical data at the end of my post.
I happily upgraded from xp32 to win7x64 doing a clean installation on the same drive and feel so satisfied about 7's performance; however the games crash as if there was a software issue. I tried to update anything that I could(vdriver ccc9.8, sound driver r2.30 and updated dx9 to latest) and I have checked everything (psu,ram,cpu,gpu) with occt and yet cannot find the problem that triggers after 5 minutes of the game crysis. I also have cnc 3 kane's wrath installed and that's a bit more stable, but that also crashes after 40 to 1 hour of gaming.
When that happens the video flickers between the scene it should be and black/red/yellow/green background fullscreen. After the crash, crysis always reports the program stopped responding and tries to solve - cnc3 doesn't report one. If I try to restart cnc 3 pretending as if nothing has happened, corrupt sound noise with green squares on the video output and desyncronizated audio video problems are coming up. Also the audio volume rises to 100% and creeps me like the thriller:)
It doesn't quite matter for the game when the bug will take control, it even does in the main menu screen while I am doing something else to come back 10 minutes later. I must restart the system and everything is working for a while longer. Btw, the crysis crash report has some associated files named msvcrt.dll and some others I did not record calling what happened a page fault exception or something.
After the crash, I cannot browse using firefox(just freezes with the refresh circles becoming black squares and the interfaces not responding), or internet explorer 8.0 32 bit. Yet I can browse using 64 bit iexplorer 8.0; however the mouse scroll function isnt as responsive, it doesn't roll down smoothly, it moves down in chunks, a bit faster than as if the video driver had been uninstalled and the cpu was trying to manually render every motion into affect and lagging in the process. I just tested out with win media player, it doesn't play audio after the crash event and stops responding. The more I force the program to run by restarting it, the more graphics corruptions there are on the wmp window. The paint program works fine and I uploaded all the after crash buggy screenshots using it.
There seems no problem with the feel and inner workings of the os, only the programs working on it are affected and none of these programs are crashing the os by themselves. The system either freezes at %10 of cases which resolve after pressing ctrl+alt+del,or hangs - but happened only 2 times from a total of 50 crashes.

I'm attaching some printscreen shots to help u visualise the situation.

My system specs are;
Os- Windows 7 build 7600.16385 x64 rtm
Motherboard- Gigabyte ma-790xt-ud4p rev 1.0( Gigabyte doesn't list win7 as a compatible os with supported drivers yet, so I installed the vista versions of the network adapter driver and audio drivers)
Cpu- x3 720 F5 bios - tested occt v3 stable and I put thermal signal in the bios to warn if past 70Celcius - never did in any of the games, only in occt linspac)
Gpu- Sapphire hd4890oc stock fan%40 - tested occt stable
Ram- Hi level 1333 2x2gb 9-9-9-24 cl3 kit(some cheap memo, but passed thorough windows memory diagtest)
Psu- Seasonic m12 600w passed combo cpu+gpu occt test

Hi mtcn77,
much thanks for the data, I wish everyone would post that much detail about their problems...;)

The only thing you've failed to mention is temps... How warm is your graphics card and system? Also if you've overclocked you GPU try backing off a little..

Consider the problem solved. It's really humiliating since I knew the cause all from start, but wasn't correlating the data to it. It was due to undervolting my x3 720 too much which I read a guide on a web site which states that phenom II's can work with vcore as low as 1.175v stably - well mine only works @1.225v. Now everything is flawless with cpu vcore upped by 0.025volts. All such corruptions were cpu related and solved themselves with 1 click in the bios. I hope my error can help people sometime, if you have such errors, move cpu voltage a bit and try again. Thanks a lot!

Consider the problem solved. It's really humiliating since I knew the cause all from start, but wasn't correlating the data to it. It was due to undervolting my x3 720 too much which I read a guide on a web site which states that phenom II's can work with vcore as low as 1.175v stably - well mine only works @1.225v. Now everything is flawless with cpu vcore upped by 0.025volts. All such corruptions were cpu related and solved themselves with 1 click in the bios. I hope my error can help people sometime, if you have such errors, move cpu voltage a bit and try again. Thanks a lot!
Glad you got it sorted! This line should really read: Return all overclocks/mods to normal settings until troubleshooting is completed.

Cheers!
And thanks for posting back! It even earned ya a little Rep.

Good news indeed...

Back
Top Bottom