Windows 7 32 bit vs 64 bit?

RobMinor

OK, time for me to feel like a total noob here. I've been running the W7 beta 32 on my primary desktop, which originally shipped with XP. Have not used Vista at all. I'm curious about running the 64-bit version of the RC, but want to know if I will get a performance boost or hit, or what particular benefit I'm supposed to get from 64 bit. My specs are below, all original exc. the graphics card, which is new. I know the 1G RAM is below recommendations, but I am planning on putting in another, for 2G. I assume this will all support 64 bit to begin with, please advise otherwise!

So basic question, what difference can i expect to see between the two versions? Or should I play it safe and just stick with 32?
And I understand I will prob. need all new drivers.

Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800 2.01 G
1 G ram
NVidia 8800 GTS with Physx accl.
NVidia Nforce 550 Motherboard.

and "Windows Experience" rating of 4.5 [lowest rating belonging to RAM]

Since I have only one program that uses 64-bit, I can't say I see a lot of difference in performance. The program that is 64-bit is a photo editing program and I believe it handles complex tasks quicker than did the 32-bit version.

Nothing overwhelming, though. If you're just going up to 3Gb of RAM, 32-bit will address it so there's no real reason for you to go 64-bit.

I originally went with the 32-bit version, but then all attempts at instaling the RC 32-bit version was failing

So I tried the 64-bit.

None of my Internet Security programs or spyware detection worked and other of my programs refused to run either, but I have a lot of older utilities and programs.

I uninstalled, finally got the 32-bit and it';s working perfectly.

Just my opinion (the app compatibility problems)

I am in no way trying to sound like a jerk here but I really think this is an unfair comparison.. 32-bit and 64-bit are two entirely different technologies when you get right down to it.. ;) Not to mention 64-bit automatically has a huge advantage by being able to address and "use" 128GB or more RAM.. ;) (Yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that presently there aren't any Desktop boards designed to hold 128G or more but the fact remains that a 64-bit Windows OS (Vista/7) can indeed address and "use" that much)

It would be like comparing the amount of Stream Processors on an ATI GPU to the amount of Processing Cores on an Nvidia GPU.. ya just can't do it.. ;)

I am in no way trying to sound like a jerk here but I really think this is an unfair comparison.. 32-bit and 64-bit are two entirely different technologies when you get right down to it.. ;) Not to mention 64-bit automatically has a huge advantage by being able to address and "use" 128GB or more RAM.. ;) (Yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that presently there aren't any Desktop boards designed to hold 128G or more but the fact remains that a 64-bit Windows OS (Vista/7) can indeed address and "use" that much)

It would be like comparing the amount of Stream Processors on an ATI GPU to the amount of Processing Cores on an Nvidia GPU.. ya just can't do it.. ;)

All good :) We cannot go back in time 64X is the way ahead . Just a slow progress forward . Need more software and drivers . Even though the progress is slow we cannot go back .

Back