Windows 7 32 vs 64? Only 2 gigs ram :-(

Odder

Have both win7 beta 1 distros - 32 & 64.

3+ year old laptop. amd 64 2.2 gig, dual core.

2 gigs ram - machine maxes out at 2 :-(

4 gig readyboost flash stick - if that matters....

Will 64 be worth installing?

With only 2 gigs ram max, will it be any better than using 32? Any worse?

Suggestions and consensus please....

Thanx for the help.

I have had Windows 7 beta 1 x64 running on my laptop, which only has 1GB of RAM, and it ran smooth and easy. I would definitely go with x64 as opposed to 32 bit, as it just seems to run more stable. Even if you don't have 4+ gigs of ram, you should still go x64, IMO.

I don't really think the stability is something to question.. as each versions seems to be equally as stable (depending on system specs of course ;) ) but I agree that you should go with 64 bit version as it does allow you to use as much ram as you can throw at it.. ;) And it is more beneficial with some apps.. as in they run faster (the native 64 bit one's that is, and some have reported that some 32 bit apps run up to 25% faster too in a 64 bit atmosphere)... The only thing you may run into is driver trouble.. where your laptop is 3 yrs old you may have to hunt around for some of the drivers but I'm sure you'll be able to find one's that will work none the less... So yeah, 64 bit would be a good choice.. :)

First, thank you all for your comments - both public and private.

Some are saying with only 2 gigs of ram, you will notice no real difference, so stick with 32.

Some are saying, 64 is better and about much more than just what you get from having more ram, so go with 64.

Some of the latter people seem to be 'crusading' for the use of 64 - although not many of them have only 2 gigs of ram.

I don't want to use 32 if 64 will work better, even with only 2 gigs of ram.

And I don't want to use 64 just because '64 is the wave of the future', if there will be a performance hit or some other kind of a problem because of using only 2 gigs of ram.

So now I am a bit confused :-(

I hope I have made sense here....

I know that this is not a very important question overall, but I just want to install the right one on the partition I have set up for it.

I understand the delimma your in now... ;) What I would suggest is go with whichever one suits your needs best... plain and simple.. if 32 bit meets and exceeds your current needs than why mess with a good thing? If your looking for a little more performance and head room than perhaps 64 bit is the right choice... but like I said, I'd go with whichever best suits your needs.. :)

Since we are working with a beta version that has both 32 and 64 bit versions, why not try both and see which you prefer?

i havent run a 64 bit os for a long time what is it like for compatable programs now??? i was running vista 64 when it first came out but went bk to 32 as i couldnt get enough programs to work on it?

i havent run a 64 bit os for a long time what is it like for compatable programs now??? i was running vista 64 when it first came out but went bk to 32 as i couldnt get enough programs to work on it?

64 Bit is much more compatible than it used to be.. I use 64 bit on all of my rigs.. and I have probably only a handful of apps that I can't get to work on it.. ;) Windows Vista 64 bit WAS the preferred OS before 7 showed itself to the world.. But as stated in another post, why not try both and see which works better for your specifiq needs.. :)

Since we are working with a beta version that has both 32 and 64 bit versions, why not try both and see which you prefer?

I agree, Is there not a way two versions of windows 7 in dual boot? i think you should just do that and keep the partition for the one you like more after you've decided

PS, i have x32 and since i dunno how x64 operates differently, so i'm totally satisfied with x32

Back