Windows 7 4th Clean install of win7 x64, still lags / hang up

thisgsx

Basicially 1st install = BSOD's and BlackSOD's without curser, CTRL + ALT + Delete does nothing, ran memtest and had some bad memory.
2nd install - New ram installed, installed all the latest drivers from manufactureres website, flashed Bios with latest driver, after all this it still lags/freezes/hangs up. No more BSOD's but still have BlackSOD's occasionally. Took my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard out, heard it could cause the freezing. Helped a little, but still lags/freezes/hangs up.
3rd install - Did same as 2nd install, this time without the soundcard and Creative drivers, still lags/freezes/hangs up. It got really bad when I installed the latest audio driver from RealTek (Since I didn't have my soundcard anymore I was planning to use the onboard sound). After installation of the Realtek driver it prompted for me to reboot, after I clicked reboot, it just wouldn't reboot or load into Windows. It wouldn't even boot into Safe Mode. After numerous times of trying to get to Safe Mode I was finally able to by rebooting, but it took about 5min to boot into Safe Mode. I went into Event Viewer and there were TONS of errors, mostly driver issues and system file issues. I gave up, took battery out of mobo, cleared cmos.
4th install - Had trouble with this because for some reason the Win7 cd couldn't detect my C:drive. After numerous tries I gave up. I had my brother give it a shot and for some reason, he rebooted my PC (which I've done numerous times) it was able to detect C:drive. After installation, I went back into Bios --> Load Defaults and as it sits right now, nothing is installed yet, not even Win7 Update, not a single driver and it STILL, lags/freezes/hangs up.

I pulled up event viewer, there were warnings in the applications side about slow loading times, and then there were errors in system, which were 'Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.' I enabled speedstep and that seem to have hopefully resolved that issue, but the computer still freezes/hangs up/lags. Any suggestions before I move on and do the updates and install of all the latest drivers? I also checked device manager and there are no exclamations points. Everything in there is functioning properly.

Here is a complete list of the hardware attached to my computer.
Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
WD Caviar Green 1TB 32MB/SATA-3G
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 SC 896MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVi
OCZ Gold 6144MB PC16000 DDR3 2000MHz (3x2048MB)
EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB
LG 22X DVDRW SATA w/o Software
Cooler Master Elite 330 Black ATX RoHS Case
Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Internal Sata HD
Seagate ST3500630AS 500GB Internal Sata HD

USB devices:
The Logitech Wireless Desktop Mouse And Keyboard MK300
Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN - Retail

I need help bad! FYI, all the installs were clean installs on a brand new HD. All parts listed above are brand new, except for the Samsung HD, Seagate HD and WD External HD.

I tried to turn on my pc because I was going to try some tips I read from the sticky thread I read, but when I get to the 'loading windows' part, it froze there for a minute or two and it rebooted itself. Now, after POST and Verifying DMI...it froze and won't go into Windows, another screen comes up where it asks me to 1. Launch startup repair (recommended) and 2. Start Windows normally. I selected 1. but when the dialog box appears with either 1. choose which OS to repair or 2. system recovery. I don't even see the OS listed under option1.

My computer now refuses to boot into Windows. It just keeps freezing after Verifying DMI.... and then it restarts itself. Whats also off is that it takes longer than normal for POST to complete. Now, on the third restart, it just freezes at Verifying DMi Pool Data....What could be wrong??

FYI, nothing was installed after the 4th install of Win7 64bit build 7600.

Last edited:
Was this a 'clean' install or an upgrade?

What disk are you uing.............puchased, RTM, or OEM?
also have attached

Unplug your USB drive and any other peripherals and other devices you have attached

Howe much memory do you have installed?

Take some sticks out to make it 2GB. You can put them in after the install completes.

Last edited:
I would personally try a fresh install with the minimum of devices , just one hard drive not neccesarily sound and enough to get an output to a monitor, I would then update all drivers and then reeboot until I was sure it was stable , then add in all other devices ........

I think it's likely USB devices (external drives etc) can cause many issues ??

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go back and do another clean install with the bare minimum. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

@ reghakr

All the installs were clean installs on a brand new hard drive. I am using a burnt copy of win7 64bit build 7600. I know it's not the cd because two of my brothers installed it on their computers with no problem. So it's probably something in my hardware that doesn't seem to like Win7.

I'm in agreement with reghakr on this one remove all but 2GB of ram you may also want to DL the WINDLG program from western digital and check your HDD

I forgot about this thread, but I resolved the issue. It was a bad hard drive. I replaced it with another one, did a clean install on it, everything has been running fine since. Thanks for all the help guys.

glad to hear it I tended to think it was more the HDD than a ram issue but there has been reports of over 2GB issues

Back
Top Bottom