Windows Vista 5Ghz Wifi Adapter

badrobot

I just wanna share something to you guys here who spends a lot of time in forums or anywhere on the web using an old laptop or PCs with only 2.4Ghz wireless adapter.

I have not been using my Vista laptop for years because of it's "slowness". Even web browsing is so slow even though I have a "good" internet connection at home (25mbps on paper but I get up to 48mbps).

Then I saw this Linksys N600 Wireless N Dual band wireless adapter (I am not endorsing this brand, just letting you guys know which one I was talking about) on sale for $9.99 and I picked it up (original price is $39.99 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1053&item_id=040702 ). My ASUS router is dual band so I want to take advantage more of the 5Ghz speed. The installation was a breeze (it came with a cd driver installer wizard) and just a couple of minutes after, it is up and running and here's the speed comparison:

with Built-in 2.4Ghz wireless adapter:

speedtest24.jpg

with Wireless N Dual-Band adapter (using 5Ghz bandwidth):

speedtest5.jpg

Wow! The speed difference is amazing. 1.61Mbps vs 33.78Mbps! For just 10 bucks I was able to solve my internet browsing speed problem on this laptop. So for those of you who are having issues with internet speed when browsing the internet, don't blame your old laptops or PC unless you really have a sucky internet connection to begin with. It`s time to embrace the latest in networking technology. It doesn`t matter if you have a slow internet to begin with, your connection speed will surely get better. Investing on dual band routers and adapters are truly worth it if you are living a cyber life. Well, it did not help improve the performance of the laptop as a whole (after all, this is a 7 year old laptop running Vista) but I am glad that internet browsing has IMPROVED A LOT. I am very happy with this 10 bucks device.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back