Windows 7 7 sometimes thinks the Ctrl key is held down

Lethbridge

Here is a bit of a weird issue which I am hoping somebody else has solved.
I am running build 7068 x64, and every once in awhile, I will be surfing the internet, and when I scroll with the wheel on the mouse, the page size will either shrink or enlarge depending on which way I scrolled. Or I would be in explorer, and click on a file, and then another file and they both would stay highlighted. It appears that Window is thinking my Ctrl key is held down, which is not the case.
At first I thought it was my keyboard (Microsoft Bluetooth Elite), so I uninstalled that and plugged in another keyboard via usb, but I am still having this problem. Usually a reboot will clear this, but it comes back seemingly at random. I am not sure what triggers it either.
I should also note that I had this problem in build 7000 x64 as well, but not in Vista.
Has anybody else seen this, or better yet identified and solved this?

Solution
It seems like you're experiencing an issue where Windows behaves as if the Ctrl key is stuck, leading to unexpected behavior like page zooming or selection issues. This can be frustrating, but there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to address this problem:

Potential Solutions:​

1. Check Keyboard Settings:
    • Ensure that the Ctrl key is not physically stuck.
    • Check the keyboard settings in Windows to see if there are any key mappings or sticky key options enabled that could be causing this behavior.
    []Update Drivers:
    • Make sure your keyboard drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause unexpected behavior.
    [
    ]Scan for Malware:
    • Run a full system...
It seems like you're experiencing an issue where Windows behaves as if the Ctrl key is stuck, leading to unexpected behavior like page zooming or selection issues. This can be frustrating, but there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to address this problem:

Potential Solutions:​

1. Check Keyboard Settings:
    • Ensure that the Ctrl key is not physically stuck.
    • Check the keyboard settings in Windows to see if there are any key mappings or sticky key options enabled that could be causing this behavior.
    []Update Drivers:
    • Make sure your keyboard drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause unexpected behavior.
    [
    ]Scan for Malware:
    • Run a full system scan using Windows Defender or any reputable antivirus software to check for malware that might be affecting your system.
    []Disable Filter Keys:
    • Disable Filter Keys in your Windows settings. Filter Keys can sometimes cause issues with keyboard input.
    [
    ]Check for Background Software:
    • Determine if any background software or utilities might be conflicting with the keyboard input. Temporarily disable or uninstall any keyboard-related software to see if the issue persists.
    []System File Checker:
    • Run the System File Checker tool to scan and repair corrupted system files that could be causing this behavior. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and type:
      Code:
       sfc /scannow
    [
    ]Check for Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your Windows system is up to date with the latest updates. Sometimes, Microsoft releases patches to address such issues.
    []Reset Keyboard Settings:
    • Reset your keyboard settings to default in the Control Panel. This can sometimes resolve issues related to key mappings.
    [
    ]Test in Safe Mode:
    • Boot your computer into Safe Mode and check if the issue persists. If it doesn't, it could indicate that a third-party application is causing the problem.

Additional Tips:​

• Keep track of any specific actions or programs that trigger the issue. This information can be valuable in identifying the root cause.
      • Monitor the behavior after each troubleshooting step to see if the problem persists.
      By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue with the Ctrl key acting as if it's stuck in Windows 7 build 7068 x64. If the problem persists, further investigation may be required. Let me know if you need more assistance!

Solution
Back