Windows 7 Toshiba Laptop CTRL Key randomly copies, pastes, enlargens, and scrolls down screen, shortcuts don't

Peter Dang

I am using a Toshiba Laptop for Windows 7. The Left and Right CTRL key is not working properly on my keyboard. I know that this is a very common problem for many people, but I have not been able to find a solution online for mine yet. I have also not found anybody whose CTRL keys have resulted in the same bugs as mine.
With the left CTRL key, I am unable to do any of the shortcuts, including:
CTRL+C. CTRL+V, CTRL+Z, CTRL+A and any others that may exist. On Google Chrome and Firefox, I cannot even do it with CTRL+F and CTRL+J.

When I place my mouse clicker on any textbox (such as for web address or even word document) and press the left CTRL key, items from whatever previous text box the clicker is in are completely copied without any reason. For example, if I selected the web address while Google.com was there, and then attempt to do anything involving the left CTRL in a document, I would get something like:
google.comgoogle.comgoogle.comgoogle.comgoogle.comgoogle.comgoogle.com

On a side note, pressing and/or holding the left CTRL key (in addition to the aforementioned problems) causes it to beep. This happens even when I am using it on a screen where CTRL button would normally have no effect.
The right CTRL key also has many problems. It still does none of the shortcut functions at all. But pressing it in any way causes text on the page to become bigger and bigger. It is not easy to make it smaller since the CTRL+(-) option is out of the question. In addition, on an Internet browser, pressing it very often causes the screen to scroll down extremely quickly.
I have tried rebooting the computer and System Restore. I have also tried the method of pressing both CTRL keys at the same time in addition to CTRL+ALT+DEL. If there is any explanation for this, I would gladly appreciate it.

I don't believe this is that common of a problem - or a fix would be easier to find.

When did the problem start?

If you plug an external keyboard into one of the USB ports, does the Ctrl key work properly then?

I would also look at your "Ease of Access" setting to make sure Sticky Keys or similar option was not accidentally enabled.

Back
Top Bottom