Windows 7 7100 64 Bit not using all 4GB of memory

Dark Light

I have Windows 7 build 7100 64 Bit, I have 4GB of memory. I have disabled virtual memory, when my memory usage reaches 2.66 GB a message comes up saying I should close a app. I have been playing Crysis and when my total system usage reaches 3GB Crysis crashes, it like Windows 7 is not using the last 1GB of memory.

I would re instate pagefile bud. That was inadviseable in XP but sometimes would help. Windows seven keeps way too much stuff in memory for easy access and will not put you in an out of memory situation it will crash apps if it needs to recover memory. I am currently using 2.5 GB of total memory (pagefile + RAM) evenly split I am running into no pagefile access slowdown even under MUCH high memory usage. If i were to disable paging i would immediately be out of RAM in my current situation. If your really worried about hitting your pagefile too hard you could limit it's size to (for windows seven) an insanely small 750 MB this would give you a little cushion for windows to work with but i still believe that you will be better off with a larger even system managed pagefile.

Finally if you INSIST your better off without a pagefile you may want to disable Superfetch which will prevent Windows from filling RAM unnecessarily.

. Windows seven keeps way too much stuff in memory for easy access and will not put you in an out of memory situation it will crash apps if it needs to recover memory. .

It will do this before you use up a specified percentage of your memory i am not aware of the percentage nor if it this behavior is changeable just that it exists. In windows opinion (i think i agree) it's better to crash 1 app a little early than it is to crash the whole OS a little later. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Does Windows 7 report that you actually have 4GB's installed? If so, then it's not that Win 7 isn't using the whole 4GB's, it's just distributing it as Windows sees fit.. ;) If it doesn't say you have a total of 4GB's installed then perhaps you have a bad stick of ram.. ;)

Does Windows 7 report that you actually have 4GB's installed? If so, then it's not that Win 7 isn't using the whole 4GB's, it's just distributing it as Windows sees fit.. ;) If it doesn't say you have a total of 4GB's installed then perhaps you have a bad stick of ram.. ;)

As Radenight says you may have a bad stick...(even though the 4GB is showing). You can test your memory using this utility: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Remember to test one stick at a time...If you test them all together a bad stick may be missed.

Back