Windows 7 7201 x64 in the wild...x86 coming soon.

i've heard rumors that 7201 is the RTM/OEM build. any truth to that?

Build 7201 is by no means an RTM build. It's actually a SP1 branch build, which is apparently a concurrent pre-RTM service pack development. As the General Availability date has been set to 22 October, I'm sure there is plenty more builds to come before RTM.

Apart from web rumours, can you indicate an authorative source for the comment on SP1? build 7201 is just that - a minor bug solving build. If anyone is using the RC, without problems, then probably they have not the hardware that encountered the bug, so will see no difference. I don't really see why users should concern themselves with the builds until the RTM.

According to the Technet forum site, Windows 7 will be released to manufacturing (RTM) in Mid July. Following the signing-off of the code, the gold version of the operating system will ship to original equipment manufactures for pre-installation on new OEM computers, and Microsoft will also debut the production phase of the boxed copies of the platform for the retail channel. This is why the software giant regards RTM as a process rather than as a milestone. But make no mistake about it, RTM is the next stage in the evolution of Windows 7. Microsoft has officially confirmed that Windows 7's release date will be October 22nd, and will be available on both store shelves and new PC's.
Microsoft Senior Vice President Bill Veghte said that in order to meet this release date, development of Windows 7 will wrap up by the middle or end of next month.

Back