Windows 7 7264 has leaked in both flavors

We are so close now to the actual release date (7 weeks or so), and with the discounted versions available then, I think I'll just stick with my present version (7201) as everything is working just fine at the moment :)

You do relize 7201 is not full. The reason there is bugs like the media player bug is that this was not a full build and had more bugs than other builds and lacked features.

7229 is the best :D

The only reason they put it out there in the first place was so that people could upgrade from beta 7000 to RC 7100. They may not block it, but that would mean you would have a bunch of people upgrading from various builds to RTM, which could mean all kinds of bugs popping up, and people getting upset over that. Of course, that would also mean that anyone that knows the workaround could just buy the upgrade disc instead of the full retail.

Please, May I also share the Ftp?
And 'Thanks!' For this forum. It has helped me greatly with My 7 experience. :)

lol, I'm looking for it. Seems kind of pointless to me though, seeing as how you can remove IE from all Win7 builds now.

The only reason they put it out there in the first place was so that people could upgrade from beta 7000 to RC 7100. They may not block it, but that would mean you would have a bunch of people upgrading from various builds to RTM, which could mean all kinds of bugs popping up, and people getting upset over that. Of course, that would also mean that anyone that knows the workaround could just buy the upgrade disc instead of the full retail.

Steven Sinofsky said "These same steps will be required as we transition from the RC milestone to the RTM milestone."

They have the same problem with people illegitimately using the clean install with upgrade media trick.

At that level, buying the upgrade disk is the least of M$'s problem as these folks that think that far are likely not to buy anything.

WZOR Bat File

I tried the WZOR Bat file and it didn't work for me. At one point I had an illegal copy of Win7 but I was able to activate using the instructions earlier in this thread.

Steven Sinofsky said "These same steps will be required as we transition from the RC milestone to the RTM milestone."

They have the same problem with people illegitimately using the clean install with upgrade media trick.

Using the Upgrade Media to perform a clean install is not wrong in any way.. Sure you can argue this but hey, Microsoft programmed it to be able to do that so the way I see it is if they didn't want people doing that with it than they shouldn't have made it so damn easy to figure out for one thing.. ;) I think this "trick" is their silent way of admitting that they charge WAY to much for Windows, period... ;)

Last edited:
Using the Upgrade Media to perform a clean install is not wrong in any way.. Sure you can argue this but hey, Microsoft programmed it to be able to do that so the way I see it is if they didn't want people doing that with it than they shouldn't have made it so damn easy to figure out for one thing.. ;) I think this "trick" is their silent way of admitting that they charge WAY to much for Windows, period... ;)

I disagree... I think they get exactly what the market will bare. Where I do agree... is that they tacitly "approve" or these workarounds (and also stuff like bootstrap OEM emulators)... because ultimately, they make big $$$ on enterprise rollouts and pre-assembled pcs; and love the market penetration.

The process is not inherently wrong. Using it illegitimately, i.e. without an older Windows license, is wrong.

The process is not inherently wrong. Using it illegitimately, i.e. without an older Windows license, is wrong.

And why exactly is it wrong?

If it truly was "wrong" than Microsoft wouldn't have made it so you could do it that way would they... ;) It's one of those grey areas really..

I just don't see how if you installed Windows 7 (via clean install) than upgrade that install with Windows 7 again is wrong...

It states that you have to have a valid Windows installation to upgrade right? Ok, well Windows 7 is a valid Windows installation.. so how is it wrong?.. ;)

Last edited:
I look at it this way. If Microsoft are going to give you everything you need to do it, why wouldnt you?

Because what you buy is a license to upgrade your existing Windows license to Windows 7. The copy of Windows 7 is just a convenience for those that are licensed to run it. Using copyrighted without a license to run it is considered piracy.

Microsoft also "made it so" you can install Windows Vista Ultimate from the Windows Vista Home Basic DVD and run it 30 days. They even
"made it so" you can make additional copies of Windows that can be run for 30 days, and back in the Windows Me days, they "made it so" you can use those extra copies as long as you want. Are these right in your eyes?

Last edited:
But your missing the point here.. Ok, you said all your buying is a license, yes I agree with you. But Microsoft states that in order to Upgrade you must have a valid (NOT ACTIVATED) copy of Windows installed first, right? Ok, well if you take your Upgrade Media and do a clean install (which you can't activate but you can run for 30 days) you now have a valid Windows installation, right? Ok, than you use the same Upgrade media to install Windows again, but this time your going to do the Upgrade.. And since you already have a valid Windows installation you can now activate the "Upgrade" your installing overtop of the clean install... How is this wrong? You bought the Upgrade Media so it's not like you are using a downloaded version.. Your not activating the Clean Install that you did first, your activating the Upgrade install that you did second.. ;)

I'm not talking about making more copies or installing Vista Ultimate off of a Vista Home Basic disc.. I'm talking about using the Upgrade Media to perform a clean install.. THAT to me is NOT wrong... ;)

Last edited:
But your missing the point here.. Ok, you said all your buying is a license, yes I agree with you. But Microsoft states that in order to Upgrade you must have a valid (NOT ACTIVATED) copy of Windows installed first, right? Ok, well if you take your Upgrade Media and do a clean install (which you can't activate but you can run for 30 days) you now have a valid Windows installation, right? Ok, than you use the same Upgrade media to install Windows again, but this time your going to do the Upgrade.. And since you already have a valid Windows installation you can now activate the "Upgrade" your installing overtop of the clean install... How is this wrong? You bought the Upgrade Media so it's not like you are using a downloaded version.. Your not activating the Clean Install that you did first, your activating the Upgrade install that you did second.. ;)

No. That initial unlicensed full install is invalid. The fact that you can't activate it is a side effect of it not being valid.

Back