Windows 7 7264 has leaked in both flavors

I see your point Josh, but Microsoft have always known this goes on. Lets just hope that it infact still does work with 7. Remember, with XP you can not directly in-place upgrade. Perhaps this is why they designed the disks like that.

Ya know, I just think of it this way. I don't feel like reinstalling one of the 7 vista discs I have lying around, taking the cd out of the tray, popping the 7 upgrade disk in, and then upgrading. Yeah, I'm lazy, but I also have 7 valid MS licenses lying around my house, so I don't feel guilty at all about using the upgrade media to do a clean install.

I tend to agree that MS silently endorses this kind of thing, or they would have closed this loophole after Vista. They would have gone back to making sure that you enter the serial during initial setup, or you would be able to go no further. MS is going to make tons of money off of 7, more than enough to counter what the "pirates" are doing.

I agree with Josh. Using an upgrade media for anything other than its intended purpose (which is to upgrade a valid, EXISTING license) is an act of copyright infringement. Furthermore... more than what I believe, I am pretty sure the courts would see it this way. However.. I also believe that MS is fully aware of the said "loop-hole" as well as other workarounds and looks the other way. Its very simple... would microsoft rather your run FREE ubuntu or FREE "unauthorized" Win 7. It is relatively small percentage of users that utilize the workarounds, and MS will more than make up for it in pre-assembled PCs and enterprise rollouts. Furthermore "Enthusiasts" (I like that better than pirate) comprise of some of their most fierce and computer savvy supporters and are a marketing force unto themselves

/soap box

No. That initial unlicensed full install is invalid. The fact that you can't activate it is a side effect of it not being valid.

Sorry but according to Microsoft's own words, it is NOT invalid.. ;) Think about it, if it was invalid than it wouldn't let install the Upgrade overtop of it would it... ;)

So your saying that any "trail software" (I say Trail because essentially that's what the unactivated clean install is) isn't valid just because you can't activate it?

I agree with Josh. Using an upgrade media for anything other than its intended purpose (which is to upgrade a valid, EXISTING license) is an act of copyright infringement. Furthermore... more than what I believe, I am pretty sure the courts would see it this way. However.. I also believe that MS is fully aware of the said "loop-hole" as well as other workarounds and looks the other way. Its very simple... would microsoft rather your run FREE ubuntu or FREE "unauthorized" Win 7. It is relatively small percentage of users that utilize the workarounds, and MS will more than make up for it in pre-assembled PCs and enterprise rollouts. Furthermore "Enthusiasts" (I like that better than pirate) comprise of some of their most fierce and computer savvy supporters and are a marketing force unto themselves

/soap box

Ok, your both taking this out of context.. I'm not saying I'm going to use the unactivated clean install permanently, it's just there to allow you to install the upgrade which is what you paid for and is what you'll be using.. ;) If you clean installed and than hacked that clean install so that you could use it permanently than yes, that would be pirating.. but that's not at all what I'm saying.. ;)

Sorry but according to Microsoft's own words, it is NOT invalid.. ;) Think about it, if it was invalid than it wouldn't let install the Upgrade overtop of it would it... ;)

So your saying that any "trail software" (I say Trail because essentially that's what the unactivated clean install is) isn't valid just because you can't activate it?

If you pirated a copy of XP, wouldn't the Vista upgrade likewise treat the XP install as "valid"?

I said it could not be activated was because it was not legit, not the other way around. Windows is not trial software. It merely gives you the benefit of a doubt for the first 30 days.

Ok, your both taking this out of context.. I'm not saying I'm going to use the unactivated clean install permanently, it's just there to allow you to install the upgrade which is what you paid for and is what you'll be using.. ;) If you clean installed and than hacked that clean install so that you could use it permanently than yes, that would be pirating.. but that's not at all what I'm saying.. ;)

Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't know about slmgr, token.dat, bootstrap emulators or upgrade workarounds... if I myself did not... shall we say, "get my hands a tad bit dirty' on occassion ;). Nor do I pass judgement. But according to MS, the upgrade workaround is a violation of the EULA. Period.

Again, let ye without sin cast the first stone... <standing with hands firmly in pockets;)>

If you pirated a copy of XP, wouldn't the Vista upgrade likewise treat the XP install as "valid"?

I said it could not be activated was because it was not legit, not the other way around. Windows is not trial software. It merely gives you the benefit of a doubt for the first 30 days.

Benefit of the doubt... not quite. They want their OS on your rig. Period. Pirated, paid for or gifted... they just windows on as many boxes as possible.

Alright, get off the pirated crap, I'm not talking about pirated versions of Windows.. If you go to the store and buy a version of Windows (Upgrade or Full Retail) it is NOT a pirated version..

This whole stupid argument is retarded, the fact is Microsoft knows about this work around and aren't doing anything to stop it at this time, so for now, buying the Upgrade Media and performing a clean install than upgrading that clean install and activating is perfectly fine. When Microsoft puts a stop to it than you can go on about how it's pirating Windows.. ;) End of discussion for me.. :)

Alright, get off the pirated crap, I'm not talking about pirated versions of Windows.. If you go to the store and buy a version of Windows (Upgrade or Full Retail) it is NOT a pirated version..

This whole stupid argument is retarded, the fact is Microsoft knows about this work around and aren't doing anything to stop it at this time, so for now, buying the Upgrade Media and performing a clean install than upgrading that clean install and activating is perfectly fine. When Microsoft puts a stop to it than you can go on about how it's pirating Windows.. ;) End of discussion for me.. :)

You said that the fact that it can be upgraded shows that its valid. I pointed out that pirated versions can also be upgraded, when they are clearly not valid.

Of course the process is perfectly fine. Of course, using it without a license to run Windows isn't.

Dido41,
Windows 7 upgrade will be able to do a clean install as long as you have a valid and legal copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista to show during the install. A prompt will appear asking for the cd-rom and product key.
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Quoted for truth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom