Rachellajh

Alrighty, I have an 8.1 that refuses to see the XP connected to the same workgroup. The XP can see the 8.1 but requires a username and psw, though I have no idea what those could be.

There is also a windows 7 involved but it's having no issues seeing anything.

The 8.1 is being stubborn. I've turned all the sharing options in the network properties to the settings for a network, (ie, no psw needed, file sharing turned on, etc).

I can ping the XP computer from the 8.1

Again I just can't see or access it.

What can I do?

Solution
To resolve the issue of Windows 8.1 not being able to see the XP computer on the same workgroup while the XP can see the Windows 8.1, here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:
1. Check Workgroup Configuration:
- Ensure that both computers are on the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup on Windows 8.1 to match the workgroup of the XP computer if needed.
- Right-click on "This PC" or "Computer" -> Select Properties -> Click on "Change settings" next to the computer name.
- Navigate to the "Computer Name" tab and check the workgroup name.
2. Network Discovery and Sharing Settings:
- Enable network discovery on both computers. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change advanced...
To resolve the issue of Windows 8.1 not being able to see the XP computer on the same workgroup while the XP can see the Windows 8.1, here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:
1. Check Workgroup Configuration:
- Ensure that both computers are on the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup on Windows 8.1 to match the workgroup of the XP computer if needed.
- Right-click on "This PC" or "Computer" -> Select Properties -> Click on "Change settings" next to the computer name.
- Navigate to the "Computer Name" tab and check the workgroup name.
2. Network Discovery and Sharing Settings:
- Enable network discovery on both computers. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change advanced sharing settings -> Turn on network discovery.
- Check if file and printer sharing are enabled on both computers.
3. Reset Network Settings:
- Disable and then re-enable the network adapter on the Windows 8.1 computer.
- Restart both computers after making any changes to network settings.
4. Check Firewall and Antivirus Settings:
- Temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus on Windows 8.1 to see if they are blocking the connection.
- Ensure that the necessary ports for file sharing are open in the firewall settings.
5. IP Configuration:
- Check the IP configuration on both computers to ensure they are on the same subnet. You can set static IP addresses for both if needed.
6. Shared Folder Permissions:
- Ensure that the shared folders on XP have appropriate permissions set to allow access to Windows 8.1.
7. Use IP Address to Access:
- If the computers can ping each other, try accessing the XP computer using its IP address (\\"XP-IP-Address") in the Windows Explorer address bar.
8. Homegroup Troubleshooter:
- Run the Homegroup troubleshooter on Windows 8.1 to identify and fix any issues related to homegroup sharing.
By following these steps, you should be able to establish a connection between the Windows 8.1 and XP computers on the same workgroup and resolve the visibility and access issues.

Solution
Back