Windows 8 8.1 Crashed and I reinstalled. But now, . . .

budparker

Extraordinary Member
I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102 Laptop that began operating very peculiar because the Windows 8.1 operating system s-l-o-w-e-d down. Click an Icon to initiate a web browser (or anything else) and go make a pot of coffee while you wait for for the icon to acknowledge you even clicked it, much less start IE.

After a few restarts the system would show this after unit startup:

"Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

I left the system alone overnight twice and the farthest the "repair" ever got was 1%. I suspect that the hard drive may have a physical dilemma, but not sure. The first time the laptop did this (3 days ago) it decided to completely reinstall Windows 8.1 without any input from me. Three days later with remarkably slow and dysfunctional Windows (again) it is now "Repairing disk errors. . ." again.

What do you folks think? Thanks in advance.

Hi Bud,
try running Seatools and see if the drive passes:
SeaTools | Seagate

If it does then try running a chkdsk making sure whichever method you use you look for and repair broken sectors:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Thanks for the quick response, Kemical. My dilemma is I can't boot the computer to run anything other than what the manufacturer built in as a meager attempt to deal with crisis control. I can't even enter the F2 or F8 screens to modify what boots this laptop. When I Power On the system it immediately goes into this Drive Scan & Repair mode.

Before booting, I removed the laptop battery to see if that might allow me some more latitude in what actions I could perform as I boot this beast...

Bud

sounds like it may be running gwx in the background

Hi USS Norway, thanks for the reply. I think my response to Kemical might shed some light on this problem.

This Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102 Laptop has a Toshiba 750gb HDD 2.5", 8mb cache. Model: MQ01ABD075. I think now it may be a Hard Drive mechanical malfunction. I wonder what track record this HD has... After taking off the back cover and removing the HD I saw that there is another bay for a second drive. I may just buy a new drive (or two) to replace this one. Any suggestions on what 1T or larger drive is durable, but won't break the bank?

What do you think about a 2T drive for $135? It is on a site called DriveSolutions.com CLICK

2 TB 5400 RPM Drive for Satellite P875-S7102
  • Includes: Bare Hard Drive Only
  • Capacity: 2 TB
  • RPM: 5400 RPM
  • Height: 9.5mm
  • Buffer Speed: 32MB
  • Warranty: 1 Year Warranty

Or, is a drive that large prone to disaster?

Hmm... Try googling for a review as I'm not familiar with that drive. Looks ok tho'..

I wonder what track record this HD

They don't have the worse (computer maker) name in the world Toshiba: Best and Worst Laptop Brands

The company name as a hole is suffering because In 2015 Toshiba was found to be fudging the books and the entire board stepped down over it

Any suggestions on what 1T
I'd prob go with an seagate x1 or an m14 (thin) but to be blunt, I'd never purchase a Toshiba again.
X1 for $119 = here
M14 for $130 = here

Australian $

What do you think about a 2T drive for $135? It is on a site called DriveSolutions.com CLICK
The image they use in the add is a Seagate M but I don't think thats what will show up in the post.

Back