Windows 10 8 gb installed using ony 4gb ram

Buzzard

This computer is a home build I did in 2011. Originally Win 7, recently upgraded to Win 10. When I open up the system window it says : Installed memory (RAM) 8.00 GB (3.99 GB usable) In the Task Manager window under Performance/Memory it sees 8.0 GB ,but the Memory usage graph only shows 4.0 gb. Further down the window it says Hardware reserved 4.0 GB. I have tested all of the slots in the motherboard and each individual stick of RAM all seem to be working properly.
I have largely ignored this problem other the googling the issue and see if I could find a fix with no luck. Any help anyone could give me with this problem would be much appreciated. Thank You

Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit

System

Processor :Intel i7 CPU K 875 @ 2.93 GHz
Installed memory :x2 4GB DIMM DDR3 Samsung

Motherboard :ASUS model P7P55 LX

Video Adapter :AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series

And you have reset your MoBo with the Clear RAM jumper and or removing the battery?
And you have installed the latest BIOS updates?

Added
Are the memories on the compatibility list in user manual of the mobo?

Last edited:
You can also try running them in single channel mode. Put both the memory modules in the black and blue slots nearest to the CPU.

I reset the MoBo as outlined in my MoBo's user guide . I also removed the battery as well. the BIOS has the latest update according to the ASUS website , I double checked the sticks for compatibility and the are list as compatible with my MoBo. still no luck.
After I posted my original post i googled my problem again to see if there might be a chance there was something new I could try. There was just the same stuff as I had tried before .Mind you I have tried this before with no luck , but I tried it again, I went to the system configuration /BOOT tab/advanced options and unchecked the box maximum memory hit ok then apply then restarted the computer. I opened the task manger and much to my amazement it showing all 8 GB being used. The next day when I started up the computer I checked the task manager and it was back to my original problem. It was working for a short time. Your help on this matter is appreciated
I will try Neemobeers suggestion and get back to you. Thanks

Open an elevated command prompt and type bcdedit /enum if you see an entry that says truncatememory and it's set to 0xF0000000 then that is your problem. Uncheck the max memory setting again and then on the Boot tab check the box "Make all boot settings permenant" click apply and reboot twice. Run the bcdedit /enum again and the truncatememory should be gone.

Last edited:
It should exist if that Maximum Memory is checked and set to a value other than 0. I was able to reproduce your problem exactly, minus the fact that I have more memory in my system.
truncate.png

my mistake I had the Maximum memory unchecked. i checked the box and it said 8192 in it . I then restarted but when I open boot window the box is still checked but the memory amount is 0 does that matter if it says 0

Did you make sure to check the "Make all boot settings permanent" it's on the boot tab of System Configuration

Well really you should not have truncatememory there at all. When the value is completely removed from the BCD store you should have access to all of your systems memory. You can either uncheck the Max Memory, click OK then check the box "make all boot settings permanent", click apply and ok.

OR

From an elevated command prompt you can type
  • bcdedit /enum if you only have the two entries {bootmgr} and {current} then you can type
  • bcdedit /deletevalue {current} truncatememory
  • If you have more entries you would replace {current} with the {really-long-GUID}

I tried the first part of the above message with no luck . i am not really sure how to perform the second one

Back
Top Bottom