Windows 7 a few programs don't run on admin account but only on 2nd account

Pisquano

hi everyone as this is my first thread

I run Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio, and never had issues.
recently I had this situation where some software doesn't run properly on my main account (admin) but only in a secondary account I had created

the software is installed without problems, but then it fails to run properly

as an example I have a small car speed detector which has a software to download journeys. it doesn't run as it should on the main account no matter what I try. similarly i bought a Sony Bloggie and its portable software as well as the main software that came with it don't work properly, but they do on the other account, so I (annoyingly) have to switch users, and run the software there, and then go back to my main account:mad:

I suspect some anti-virus or other stuff from my main account is "blocking" things somehow. I also had a number of instances where I get alerts like "windows cannot open this file for security reasons". I have tried to change security settings, firewall settings but nothing worked.
there was a general security level that required admin status to lower, yet although I obviously am admin, windows wouldn't allow me to do.

any suggestion?

ps. I have a lot of other programs that still work fine, like iTunes etc etc, but I am noticing that most of the recent ones will not work as they should...
quite frustrating

Fed

Last edited:
Well, it does not make sense for a program that is Windows 7 compatible to have problems such as yours. I am sure folks were waiting to see if anyone had any prior experience.

But you may have something running on the main account that is not on the second account. Have you compared Startup and running processes for each account?

When you installed the software, did you use any special procedures to make it compatible?

Did you create the second account before or after the software installs?

Well, it does not make sense for a program that is Windows 7 compatible to have problems such as yours. I am sure folks were waiting to see if anyone had any prior experience.

But you may have something running on the main account that is not on the second account. Have you compared Startup and running processes for each account?

When you installed the software, did you use any special procedures to make it compatible?

Did you create the second account before or after the software installs?

the 2nd account was already there.
I do not know how to compare processes, all I know is that these programs run on one account and not on the main one
I didn't really use any special procedures, but the same one for both accounts

Try checking the Event Viewer for each account to see if it shows any errors or warning messages.

You can compare processes by starting Task Manager. Open the processes tab and take snipping tool pictures of the window/s. Then use that to look at the processes in the other account.

All I can think of is, if both accounts are admins, that something running in one is stopping the programs from running. Maybe one has a virus or a security setting, such as UAC that is stopping it or not showing a message about the access permissions.

Try checking the Event Viewer for each account to see if it shows any errors or warning messages.

You can compare processes by starting Task Manager. Open the processes tab and take snipping tool pictures of the window/s. Then use that to look at the processes in the other account.

All I can think of is, if both accounts are admins, that something running in one is stopping the programs from running. Maybe one has a virus or a security setting, such as UAC that is stopping it or not showing a message about the access permissions.

I will try and check. but what's strange is that only a few programs don't work...the others are fine...
what are UAC?
I get frequently warning messages that say the file couldn't be opened for security reasons

Did you ever find a solution to this issue. I am having the same issue using my web browser. It only works if I'm logged in on
Standard account.

the only was I could solve this was to log on my "other" account, copy a certain portion of the registry and past it into my main account to "fix" it.
it worked perfectly. unfortunately I cannot remember which part you need to change, but I found it on-line

Back