Windows 7 A Network Cable Is Unplugged Error... please help!

Asha

I attempted to run a system cleaner a few days ago and when I rebooted, I no longer had access to the internet. It says thatthere is no local area connection because A Network Cable is Unplugged, however i don't use any wires...I only connect using a wireless connection. I also don't have a modem, I connect using Xfinity wifi signal in my neighborhood. I have a Hp Touchsmart 520 Desktop, that's running Windows 7.

Well I would start out and verify you have an IP address, subnetmask a gateway and DNS servers defined.
You can get all this by opening a command prompt and type ipconfig /all you can post the output here if you want it to be checked out. Then verify you can reach the gateway ping <gateway ip> If you can ping that, then ping something on the internet ping 8.8.8.8 this is a public DNS server hosted by google. If you can ping that then try and ping a website such as water.com If you can't ping past the gateway then you will need to contact the ISP

Just a thought. Before going in depth, simply check whether the WiFi on the laptop is not accidentally switched off. If you are on a laptop there should be a small green indicator light somewhere and if that is on a WiFi icon on the taskbar.
If you are on a desktop you probably don't have that indicator, but there shoud be some device up and running. Could you tell us what WiFi network device you are using?

Added
That other problem, a not responsive system, may also be cause by a bad network!

Last edited:
Back