Windows 7 A Possibly CPU Related problem

catalystF1

I've had this problem with my computer where the audio and video together will start to lag and the audio sounds as if it having a major audio buffer under-run, the only way I know to fix this is to restart my machine, but what has me worried is that sometimes this problem can happen even when the computer is idle, and if it stays long enough in this laggy condition, Windows 7 will BSOD, I'm sure this might have to do with my Processor which is an Intel Pentium Dual-Core e5500 clocked at 2.80ghz which is it's stock clock speed but I'm not entirely sure, this problem has been presistent ever since within they year of having my computer.

If it's an audio and video problem, and assuming you have an external graphics processor... how on earth would it relate to the cpu? (unless there'a major bottleneck/sth)(eg of bottleneck: Intel Celeron 266 and a GTX 690 {obviously they wouldn't fit on the same motherboard, but this is all hypothetical)
Back to your problem - Usually this is because your video card is having problems trying to render the image and make it presentable instead of a massive line of pixel code.

When does this problem occur (my guess it's when you're playing a video/game, because I don't think your desktop image has a sound to it. Whenever the audio/video starts screwing up, record the time and action (eg: 17th October, playing a game etc.).
If you want to stop the audio and video from generating a BSoD, when the problem happens ctrl+alt+delete and start task manager - Find the program you're running, right-click it, and select "Go to Process". Once you see the process highlighted in blue, right-click it and select "End Process". Hopefully the program will close and revert back to your normal screen.
Once you've ended the task, go to start and search up "Event Viewer". In Event Viewer, expand the Custom Views folder, and select Administrative Events. In administrative events, you'll see a list of, well, events, labelled with either "Critical", "Warning" or "Error". Choose the most recent event and it should show the video/audio problem. Record the details (event ID, Log name, Source and General Description). You can either use that info and google it, or come back here and post the results.

Or.... you can let the BSoD happen, and record the message (eg: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), file error (eg: nvlddmkm.sys or ATIKMDAG.sys) and code (eg: 0x0000016). Let the computer reboot, and try recreate the BSoD (don't worry, it won't kill your computer if you get too many BS's). Post back or use the info and google a cure.

Last edited:
Back