Windows 7 A Re-Install of W'7 Release Candidate???

cyberized

My new HTPC came with W'7 RCandidate installed by the fella that built it...........could I go to the MS site and download and reinstall it again w/o any hassle...because it would be to a different person? This I believe would resolve my present problems I have having - Plus - since it has 4GB's of RAM and I don't like the way he partitioned the hard drive - - - I could then switch to 64 bit and change the other things too. I know I have read alot over these past years about people having compatability problems with using 64 bit ,,,,, but that must be almost a thing of the past by now isn't it?

TKS michael

It is not a problem. Go here:
Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program
and download the version you want. It is perfectly legal. Be sure to obtain a key at the same time.

If your computer is 64 bit capable, you should have no problems. Hardware compatibility should not be a problem either. You might have to search for some drivers if you have "one.off" hardware.
Whilst you are on the Microsoft page, download the 32 bit also, then you have the best of both worlds!

Hello! I would think so. I'm running 64 bit and "almost" everything works (just my Palm Pilot acting up). A clean reinstall is always best. Have fun! :)

Whoops! Forgot to ask...........IF I re-install the new OS over this present one will I HAVE to wipe everything off that is loaded on this one, like My Favorites, my AntiVIrus program, things like that?

TKS michael:confused:

A clean install is always best. But if you "over" install Your old contents will be saved in a folder "Windows_old" Be safe rather than sorry though - save your essentials somewhere else. (A CD or spare partition etc.)

The X64 bit version will not install as an upgrade over the X86 (32 bit) version, so you have little choice.

My personal preference is to back up the files on the boot partition elsewhere (another HD, or an external HD). I boot from the Win7 DVD and use it to format the boot partition. I doubt that it improves the new installation, but it enforces the discipline of backing up the files.

The X64 bit version will not install as an upgrade over the X86 (32 bit) version, so you have little choice.

My personal preference is to back up the files on the boot partition elsewhere (another HD, or an external HD). I boot from the Win7 DVD and use it to format the boot partition. I doubt that it improves the new installation, but it enforces the discipline of backing up the files.

Thus - now that the builder installed W'7 RC 32bit - I cannot install W'7 RC 64bit over the top of it you might say? IF so - that is sure a bummer and odd too.....you'd think a CLEAN - re-format prior to install would remove whatever was on there at that time [32 or 64bit]???

I was able to at least start using my new HTPC again this AM......lost some sleep trying to figure out what to do to solve this dilemna w/o re-installing a OS. the size of my desktop went so large that i could not access the toolbar and START etc. Woke up this AM and hoped and prayed that i could someway get to RESTORE............initially I could'nt BUT I could right click and get Properties - then changed my desktop from 1900x1080 to 1280x740?..........and WALA I had access to the toolbar etc......BUT even then, for awhile NO response when say I clicked on "Control Panel".........FINALLY after waiting and a re-boot too - I was able to actually USE things there again,,,,,made it to "RESTORE" BUT did not like the restore dates and the effects of using some of them......the one on the 16th would take out ALL ATI Catalyst stuff Media Center and Graphics - - - all would have to be re-installed. Thank God - at least I can use my NEW HTPC w W'7 again. I probably should re-install anyway BUT wish if I did I could install 64bit.
ODD - but I have found that the old 'puter I am typing on with W XP Home and a single core 2.3GHz AMD CPU seems much faster all the way around than my NEW W'7 platform with a dual 2.3GHZ CPU and twice the RAM at 4GB.......evertime you click on a program change it sits and spins it's wheels for awhile - NOOT - POP/ZAP like this one and there it is. Could it be the HD he installed....a 1 TB Seagate 5400 ATA; I presently use WD Raptors 7200 ATA I believe????

TKS michael:confused:

I don't follow your remarks very well.

A "clean" install does not preserve applications or settings. An upgrade installation can (although some applications may need to be re-installed anyway), but you can't install an X64 upgrade onto a 32 bit OS (Vista or 7).

You may be able to repair 7 by installing the 32 bit version as an upgrade over your existing OS. Doing a clean install (X86 or X64) is what I recommend, though. That assumes that you have access to installation media for all of your applications.

It's possible that cleaning up the OS may not solve your problems. I just spent a couple of days chasing what I thought were (nVidia) graphics driver conflicts on my desktop PC. Turned out that that graphics card (GTX280) is flaking out, but not dead. I replaced it with a spare ATI Radeon 4870. (Slightly less powerful card.) That fixed not only the graphics corruption, but it also eliminated some delays in Windows Explorer.

WD Raptors are 10,000 RPM. I switched from a Seagate 500 GB (7200) drive to a 300 GB Velociraptor a few months ago. It benchmarks faster than the Seagate, but subjectively Windows isn't much snappier.

Does Event Viewer tell you anything?

Back