Accesing folders on a network computer

rowanbradley

If I'm logged into Windows 8.1 as username/password, and I try to access files on another computer on my network (in this case my NAS, which I think is running Linux), what username and password does it try to connect to the NAS with? If it gives me a "You need permission to perform this action" error, how do I change the login that it's trying to connect with, to use one that I have set up on the NAS that has the necessary permissions?

Thank you - Rowan

It will try and use the credentials of the currently logged on user. If you're not joined to a domain then this will typically fail since credentials are unique to a device. You'll need to supply credentials valid on the NAS.

I don't have a domain. This is just a small home network with two or three PCs, printer, NAS etc. Are you saying that I MUST have a domain in order to access my NAS? Since the NAS runs Linux I don't suppose that it knows anything about domains, so I probably can't give permissions to a domain account. How can I get Windows to connect to the NAS with an account that I have created on the NAS?

Thanks - Rowan

No you need to provide valid credentials local to the NAS.

<NASIP\<localNASUser>

How do I enter this username? It doesn't ask me for a username when I try to copy files using WIndows Explorer, it just fails with a "you need permission" message. And it really wants the NAS IP does it, not the hostname? I.e. does it want
192.168.0.188\RowanB or
NAS310\RowanB?
And does it not need to start with a double backslash:
\\NAS310\RowanB

Thanks - Rowan

If you have local DNS (most people don't) then you'd use the IP address. You could also use the net use command to map a drive to the NAS and use the /user nad /password switches to supply credentials.

Back