Insight1011

Hi. I'm trying to install W7 32-bit via partition/iso as per this link: Install Windows 7/ Vista on your Hard disc Without using any DVD/CD or Pendrive (USB drive) Although when I try to go through the step where you need to copy boot/bootmgr into the C:\ drive, it says "You need permission to perform this action". My account is an administrator with all access rights, and I did right click -> properties -> security and tick all of the boxes for my account to have permission, but as its setting the parameters it says that C:\Boot, C:\hiberfil.sys, C:\Programs and Files, and a few more that I can't remember the name of are "denied." Any help would be appreciated. Running Vista 32-bit SP2.

Last edited:
It seems like you're encountering permission issues while trying to copy the boot files into the C:\ drive according to the instructions provided in the link you shared. This can be a common problem due to User Account Control (UAC) settings in Windows Vista. Even though you have administrative privileges, the UAC may still restrict certain actions.
Here are steps to try and resolve the permission issue:
1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator:
- Click on the Start menu and type "cmd" in the search box.
- Right-click on "cmd" and select "Run as administrator."

2. Grant Full Control:
- Once in the Command Prompt with administrative privileges, navigate to the folder where the boot files are located.
- Use the command takeown /f FILEPATH to take ownership of the files. Replace FILEPATH with the actual path of the file.
- Then, use the command icacls FILEPATH /grant administrators:F to grant full control to the administrators group.
3. Disable UAC (User Account Control):
- Temporarily disabling UAC can sometimes help in performing the required actions. You can do this by:
- Open the Control Panel and go to User Accounts.
- Click on "Change User Account Control settings" and set the slider to the lowest level (Never notify).

4. Attempt the Copy Operation:
- Try copying the boot files again after taking ownership and adjusting permissions.

5. Re-enable UAC:
- After completing the operation, it's advisable to re-enable UAC for security reasons.
If you continue to face issues, you can also try performing the steps in Safe Mode, where UAC restrictions are often less stringent.
These steps should help you override the permission issues and allow you to copy the necessary boot files as part of your Windows 7 32-bit installation process.

Back