Windows 7 "Access is denied" when writing changes to a file on an older partition

misterten

A friend of mine was going to install Win7 on a free partition of a hard drive. On the second hard drive he has three partition, where on the first one his XP was running. From XP he started the Win7 installation. I was installing Win7 by booting from DVD and following errors didn't occure on my machine:

He isn't able to take the ownership. We already made all steps to do that, changing owner for the whole partition, adding/editing users and theirs permissions. But he's just able to read the files from the old XP partitions, which is used to be the current partition to work with. He cannot change/overwrite them. Copying a file to the current system's partition doesn't allow changes there, either. Must each file's ownership be taken seperately?? Or is anything else wrong here?

As I've written, I had XP, too, and I was able to copy all files from the XP partitions even without taking ownership. What's different here? Is it because installing 7 from running XP?

regards

Back
Top Bottom