Windows 8 Access network share outside of domain?

deadherring

I have a new install of Windows 8 Home and am trying to log in to a network share. The problem is that it is trying to force me to log in with PCname\username and the share is expecting only uname. If I click on the change username button it is still forcing me to use PCname\username and wont let me change it.

I had the same problem with a Windows 7 Professional box and found this solution: Windows File Share From Outside the Domain

1. Start – Control Panel – System and Security – Administrative Tools – Local Security Policy
2. In the left pane, Local Policies – Security Options
3. In the right pane, double click “Network security: LAN Manager authentication level”
4. Select “Send LM&NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”
5. Apply – OK

But there’s no local security policy on the windows 8 box, I was thinking maybe because it’s Home and the Win 7 is professional?
Does anyone have a workaround so I can access the network share on my win 8 box?

Thanks!

Hi,

if you open the charms and in the search bar write secpol.msc then press enter you'll see the local security policy pop up on the desktop.

Hi,

if you open the charms and in the search bar write secpol.msc then press enter you'll see the local security policy pop up on the desktop.

Doesnt find anything for that. I am using windows home (not pro). Does that matter?

Back
Top Bottom