ducklowguy

Here's my problem. I downloaded Windows 7 from a special college deal for $30 I upgraded from vista, but it screwed up my computer. I would get blue screens at random times while I was using it. I decided to clean install instead, but then I realized the stupid file they gave me only works for upgrading from Vista. I used a version my roommate had and now it won't accept my key. I can't seem to find the boot disks for vista that came with my computer. I was wondering if there is any way Microsoft would get me another key? I'm not buying a new one for $100 bucks or paying to contact customer service. Microsoft is really pissing me off now since my Xbox just broke and they won't fix it cause it's out of warranty. Let me know if you have a solution. Right now it is saying that I have a counterfeit version of Windows, but I guess it's better than the blue screens. Will I get kicked off of Windows or can I keep using it like this? Let me know

Thanks,

Solution
I understand your frustration with the Windows 7 installation and activation issues you're facing. I'll try to provide some guidance on the different aspects of your situation:
### 1. Windows Activation and Key Issues:
  • Key Rejection: When you used your roommate's version of Windows and tried to activate it with your key, it likely didn't work because each Windows key is tied to a specific installation. Using a different Windows version might lead to key rejection.
  • Counterfeit Windows Notification: If Windows is showing a message that it's counterfeit, it means the system couldn't verify the authenticity of the Windows version you're using.
### 2. Obtaining a Replacement Key:
  • Microsoft Support...
I understand your frustration with the Windows 7 installation and activation issues you're facing. I'll try to provide some guidance on the different aspects of your situation:
### 1. Windows Activation and Key Issues:
  • Key Rejection: When you used your roommate's version of Windows and tried to activate it with your key, it likely didn't work because each Windows key is tied to a specific installation. Using a different Windows version might lead to key rejection.
  • Counterfeit Windows Notification: If Windows is showing a message that it's counterfeit, it means the system couldn't verify the authenticity of the Windows version you're using.
### 2. Obtaining a Replacement Key:
  • Microsoft Support: Microsoft might provide a replacement key under certain circumstances. Contacting Microsoft support could be a viable option, but you mentioned not wanting to pay for customer service. However, there are some avenues you can explore for assistance.
  • Activating Windows 7: It's crucial to have a valid key to ensure your system is properly licensed.
### 3. Using Windows Without Activation:
  • Limited Functionality: While you can continue using Windows without activating it, there are restrictions. Unactivated Windows may lose some features, and you could encounter frequent reminders to activate.
  • Risk of Disablement: Microsoft may periodically and gradually limit functionality in unactivated versions of Windows. This could potentially lead to essential features being disabled over time.
### Possible Solutions:
1. Locate Vista Boot Disks: Try to find the original Vista installation discs that came with your computer. You may be able to use them to reinstall Vista and then upgrade to Windows 7 as intended.
2. Microsoft Assistance: Consider reaching out to Microsoft support (online forums, community support, etc.) for possible solutions. There may be avenues for obtaining a valid key without significant cost.
3. Check for Hardware Issues: Since you mentioned experiencing blue screens, ensure that there are no hardware issues causing system instability.
4. Consider Windows Update: Ensure the system is fully updated to mitigate any known issues.
Ultimately, resolving the issue may involve obtaining a valid key from Microsoft or finding a legitimate way to reinstall Windows using the appropriate installation files. I recommend exploring these options to ensure a stable and properly licensed Windows installation.

Solution
Back