Windows 7 Adobe Reader 9 browser plug-in doesn't work

GomJabbar

I installed Adobe Reader 9 but the browser plug-in will not work with IE8 or Opera 10 Alpha. Since the problem occurs in both browsers, there must be some incompatibility with the Adobe Reader 9 browser plug-in and Windows 7 Beta. I did try a repair install of Adobe Reader 9, but that made no difference.

In Opera I found I can choose to open with the default program AcroRd32.exe which will open the pdf in a separate instance of Adobe Reader instead of within the browser using the Adobe Acrobat plug-in. I would prefer that pdf's I download open in the browser window. This works in Vista SP1 and XP SP3 with Opera 9.63.

I have not tried to find a solution for IE8, but at any rate I would like the browser plug-in to work.

I still haven't made any headway with this. This is with the latest version of Adobe Reader 9, on Windows 7 Build 7000 32-bit, on a ThinkPad T42. In Adobe Reader preferences I have tried turning off "Fast web view" and "Allow speculative downloading in the background", while leaving "Display PDF in browser" enabled. I have tried compatibility mode in W7b as Vista and XP.

I get the following dialog box when I try downloading a pdf in either browser (IE8 or Opera 10):
Link Removed due to 404 Error

My searches in Google so far have not turned up anything. This is the third forum I have posted this problem to and no one using Windows 7 has anything to say.

Here is one of the PDF's I have tried to view:

Am I the only one experiencing this? Can everyone else view pdf files in IE8 or Opera 10?

I tried Foxit maybe a year ago and found that it could not open some of the PDF's I get. Namely, my water bill and a student loan statement that I get arrive password protected, and Foxit couldn't deal with that (at least at the time). Also I wonder if Foxit can open the IRS tax forms with form-fill-in capability.

That's strange.

What was the error message you received, if any.

I've never had that problem and it works well in Windows7

For those of you who want to give it a try.........After extracting the .zip file, more the Foxit Reader.exe to the C:\Program Files\Foxit reader directory.

Again, this is just a single executable with no install required and it do not have hundreds of files and registry entries like the bloated Acrobat Reader, and performs more functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
same thing

I have the same problem with both IE8 and Google Chrome. For me, some PDF documents will open without a problem, and others just show the blank box like you got. Even when things do load though, it seems to take a little bit longer than it should. I have been searching for a fix on this for about two weeks now...

I tried a registry change that I saw on another forum for XP, but that did not work at all. Instead I got an error message that I had the wrong version of Adobe Reader installed. When I changed the registry key back to what it was, oddly I was able to open one pdf in the Opera browser when downloaded from a website. Subsequently I could no longer get it to work - even on the same pdf.

I must admit that my internet connection is not all that fast since I am using my AT&T Sierra Wireless 860 AirCard for the connection. I wouldn't think this is the problem, but I am at a loss what is.

I tried turning off Windows firewall. I tried uninstalling AVG antivirus and installing AntiVir instead. I tried turning off Maintenance and troubleshooting features of Windows 7. But so far I have not found the solution.

I know there are other pdf readers out there, but I want to get Adobe Reader to work.

I have been having the same exact problem, but with firefox.

I get the same "blank" error with any browser when trying to open a pdf online.

Any new on this guys?

I still haven't made any headway with this. This is with the latest version of Adobe Reader 9, on Windows 7 Build 7000 32-bit, on a ThinkPad T42. In Adobe Reader preferences I have tried turning off \"Fast web view\" and \"Allow speculative downloading in the background\", while leaving \"Display PDF in browser\" enabled. I have tried compatibility mode in W7b as Vista and XP.

I get the following dialog box when I try downloading a pdf in either browser (IE8 or Opera 10):

My searches in Google so far have not turned up anything. This is the third forum I have posted this problem to and no one using Windows 7 has anything to say.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Can everyone else view pdf files in IE8 or Opera 10?

I was getting this until I set the reader in compatibilty mode to be "as vista" and run as "admin" - works fine for me now...I just tried your link above and I can view it fine.

I was getting this until I set the reader in compatibilty mode to be "as vista" and run as "admin" - works fine for me now...I just tried your link above and I can view it fine.

I tried your solution, and sure enough I was able to open my link in IE8 ONCE! I then tried to open it in Opera 10 without success. I tried in IE8 again and I got the same error I was getting previously.

Just curious why there are still people using IE? The release of windows 7 and SP2 for Vista will ( hopefully ) remove IE and be replaced with firefox 3 as the default browser for Windows. Is there any real reason for using ( unless developing ) IE, Opera, etc... ( Installed FF from day one and have had no problems at all. I do get an error message from adobe reader, but once closed the browser and the pdf ( online or local ) opens just fine. Not trying to be smut here, but just trying to get an idea of why people are so interested in getting WLM, adobe, etc working with IE8 when it is going bye bye?

I have had WLM installed since day 1 and I have never had a problem with it.. Truthfully though I do not have that many apps installed on my machine. I have what I need and if I don't use it in two weeks it is gone.

Not trying to be smut here, but just trying to get an idea of why people are so interested in getting WLM, adobe, etc working with IE8 when it is going bye bye?

I am an Opera user. That is where I really want the Adobe Reader plugin to work. I just state that it doesn't work in IE8 either; for troubleshooting purposes.

As Adobe is bloatware, I'd suggest download this free app:

Foxit Software - Downloads

It's only a single execuatable, but has more features than Adobe Reader itself.

I was getting tired of trying to make Adobe Reader 9 open a pdf in a browser window. I have posted in half a dozen forums about this issue, and no one has a solution that continues to work. I have been able to open a pdf in both Opera 10a and IE8 a couple of times, but subsequently it would not work anymore.

So I uninstalled Adobe Reader 9 and deleted all the Adobe Reader registry keys. I then installed the latest version of Foxit Reader. If I click on a link in my web browser Opera 10a or IE8, the file downloads then opens the pdf in a separate Foxit Reader window. I was already able to do this with Adobe Reader 9.

The pdf is still not opening inside the browser window using Foxit. The preferences setting in Foxit Reader is to open pdf in browser, but in Opera anyway, I am not showing any pdf plugin installed. Am I missing some setting or fix here?

EDIT: I found out the problem with Foxit Reader. I downloaded and installed the .msi installer. Apparently this installer does not come with the browser plug-in. I uninstalled Foxit Reader, downloaded the .exe installer and reinstalled Foxit Reader. Now Foxit appears to do everything I need. Opens in Opera 10a and IE8. I can fill out IRS tax forms with it, and I can open encrypted pdfs that require a password. :)

P.S. I tried to add a post, but this forum automatically merges subsequent posts by the same author into one post. :confused:

Last edited:
I still haven't made any headway with this. This is with the latest version of Adobe Reader 9, on Windows 7 Build 7000 32-bit, on a ThinkPad T42. In Adobe Reader preferences I have tried turning off \"Fast web view\" and \"Allow speculative downloading in the background\", while leaving \"Display PDF in browser\" enabled. I have tried compatibility mode in W7b as Vista and XP.

I have same issue in IE8 and Firefox using Adobe Reader 9. They will not open an PDF. I then removed Adobe Reader 9 and installed Adobe Reader 8.13. Firefox worked just fine but IE8 had the same error. I rarely ever use IE8 anyway, but I did try Foxit Reader as suggested in this forum. It works in both Firefox and IE8 with no issues. I haven't tried installing Adobe Reader 9 in compatibility mode. Will try that later.

I went in today and tried installing Adobe Reader 8.13 in compatibility mode and run as administrator, and received the same error that Adobe could not read PDF in my browser(s), however when I closed the error dialogue box, I could view the pdf files in both IE8 and Firefox 3. Tried resetting compatibility, but no luck. I am removing Adobe and re-installing Foxit Reader, which works just fine. It's not worth the hassle as I have no use for Internet Explorer anyway. Firefox has always worked without all the issues of IE.
Has anyone tried installing PDF Converter Pro 5 by Nuance yet? I own a copy and it works in XP, but I am very reluctant to try installing unders Windows 7 as I had all kinds of issues installing it in XP, and Nuance has no support unless you want to pay for it. Also, you are only allowed a limited number of activations at which point you can't use it any more.

Last edited:
From a tip on another forum, I decided to try again. Long story, short, I performed a clean install of W7b. From that point, when I got ready, I installed Adobe Reader 9. After installation I opened Adobe Reader and accepted the license, then I closed Adobe Reader. The tip was to uninstall Adobe Air. Well, I uninstalled "Acrobat.com", then uninstalled "Adobe Air" using Programs and Features in Control Panel. I did not run compatibility mode on Adobe Reader 9.

So far I have opened about half a dozen pdf's in Opera 10a and IE8 without a glitch.

Not going to call it solved yet, but it's looking up!

I followed your steps, with the exception of the clean install of Win 7 (I did a clean install on my first setup). I then ran REGEDIT, and removed all references to Adobe Reader 9. I then installed Adobe Reader 9, opened up AR9, agreed to the terms, then uninstalled Adobe Air and Adobe.com. I can now access pdf files in Firefox 3 and IE 8 Beta. However, IE8 beta is incredibly slow to load, not sure why, but I only use Firefox so it is not an issue. Will try it for a week or two to see if it continues to work.

Same error with PDF reader

Hi Guy's

I am getting the exact same issue. However I have discovered that if I ok the dialogue box and refresh the browser, it will then load the document. I suspect that it's another DEP issue IE 8 constantly complains and crashes with DEP related issues.

Hi,

My pdf's documents started to open fine on Firefox 3 after I uninstalled Adobe Reader 9.1 and ran the Adobe Reader 9.1 installation file using compatibility mode in it with Windows Vista and running it as an Administrator.

It wasn't working before, but at least for now it's running fine.

Last edited:
I got them to open in my browsers (IE and Opera) for a time, but eventually it just broke. Now I download and open without using the browser plug-in. Works well enough I guess.

For IE, open Adobe Reader and uncheck box "Display PDF's in browser" (Edit > Preferences > Internet). For Opera, choose Open with default application: AcroRd32.exe instead of Use plug-in: Adobe Acrobat (Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Downloads, and uncheck box "Hide file types opened with Opera", then type pdf in search box, highlight pdf, then click on Edit, choose "Open with default application").

Last edited:
Back