Windows 8 After HDD decompression many .pdf .docx. .xlsx files have .encryption after them and cannot be acces

Danarus

Server OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 64-Bit

Client System: Windows 8.1 64-Bit

We operate a small office setup with a server and about 8 clients. The network drives we access have always been compressed: under HDD Properties>General Tab: 'Compress this drive to save disk space' is checked.

Due to a MYOB-esque program issue we were advised we should try unchecking that option; decompressing the HDD.

This was done to the networked drive with Administrative User from a client PC running Windows 8.1. This was cancelled at one instance then the operation restarted.

After some time the operations were completed and the drive was no longer compressed.

However, numerous, but not all, .docx, .xlxs, .jpeg, .pdffiles became inaccessible adding .encryptedafter the file extension. i.e.Example.docx.encrypted

Merely deleting the.encryptedextension results in you being able to open the file but only shows the jumble of symbols typical of encrypted files.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance.

This was done to the networked drive with Administrative User from a client PC running Windows 8.1. This was cancelled at one instance then the operation restarted.

I assume the network drive is on the server so the server (not pc) admin account is where you should have decompressed the drive from... ime that is also the cause of the cancelled operation.

1. log into the server as admin and try to open one of the files in question... if you can see the files from the server then they can be recovered (un-share and re-share) the folder/ drive to reset the network share.

Thanks for the reply.

My user account was the one used to perform the operations and is the only Administrator account on the server system/network.
The operation was cancelled manually. I can't remember the reason at the moment, I think it was chewing up system resources and I needed to quickly perform some tasks due to a customer coming in and interrupting me.

I accessed the Server directly as Administrator and the files were still inaccessible.

1510495_10205046679987952_7620504049180064001_n.jpg

Back