Windows 8 After the win 8.1 update, Nvidia Control Panel is gone

Gokhan Uzmez

After the 8.1 windows update that happened last week, my control panel is gone for Nvidia, card works properly but I cant not see the settings, when I try to open it says " You are currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU , settings are not available.

I am using an external monitor but it was working JUST FINE LAST WEEK

WHAT DID GO WRONG???

Did you leave your antivirus software enabled during the update ? The antivirus need's to be disabled temporarily during major os upgrades/updates, driver updates and occasionally .NET framework update's. Try reinstalling the nVidia driver's with your av turned off. Restart your pc after the install and reenable your av software.

Hi

Try updating your video drivers and the control panel will come back.
Ah, I see that brkab already said that, but it's the most effective way to get all the nVidia stuff back up and running.

Mike

Thanks guys, I really did not want to mess with the original drivers as they are, was wondering why did they disappear

I guess I am scared to re install drivers, something will go wrong and nothing will work lol

Hi

I have to admit that I don't like updating my nVidia drivers but sooner or later you have to do it.
I've had my control panel or GeForce Experience disappear or stop working a number of times.

What I've found to be important is to select the clean install option when you start the process.
It seems to be a lot more reliable then the just overwrite the old driver option.

What video card do you have?

You can check out this site to download just the control panel...

http://nvidia-display-control-panel.en.lo4d.com/

Or you can manually search for the drivers for you video card here...

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If you're not sure you can use the scan for version option.

You will have to have JAVA installed to do the scan thing, I just did it and had to update my JAVA install to get it to run but it did identify my video card.

My drivers are currently up to date. :)

Mike

Back