Windows 10 Age of Empires desktop icons

Burgundian5000

Hello, guys!

Does anyone have any idea why the desktop icons are displayed like this? It’s been like this for a while now and it's incredibly frustrating. I have a couple of games on my computer, but it only happens to Age of Empires (l & ll) and to Europa Universalis lV, which I downloaded from the Xbox app. It wasn't like this from the beginning, it changed only a few months ago and I don't seem to find a solution. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 1ea11be62b6518659e7ac874bfac45f4ea891c8b.jpeg
    1ea11be62b6518659e7ac874bfac45f4ea891c8b.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 46
If they are old games, they may not support larger icons, or the thumbnail cache may be corrupted and needs to be rebuilt

If they are old games, they may not support larger icons, or the thumbnail cache may be corrupted and needs to be rebuilt
The games are new, both are the Definitive Edition. Same for Europa Universalis, it's the newest game.

Can you please tell me what means to rebuild them and how I can do that?

From a Powershell prompt, run the following to rebuild the icon and thumbnail caches.

Code:
Get-ChildItem $ENV:LOCALAPPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer -Include "thumbcache_*","iconcache_*" -Recurse | Remove-Item
Stop-Process -Name explorer

From a Powershell prompt, run the following to rebuild the icon and thumbnail caches.

Code:
Get-ChildItem $ENV:LOCALAPPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer -Include "thumbcache_*","iconcache_*" -Recurse | Remove-Item
Stop-Process -Name explorer
Thank you!

Tried it, deleted the icon cache then restarted Windows Explorer. Doesn't work, same result. Any other ideas how this could be fixed?

If there is a repair option you can run that to reinstall. A repair will not impact activation or existing content.

I have part one and 2 and 3 all editions, but the icons are normal.

You have 3 options to solve it.

1- Try the tool in the below link.

2- Recreate the shortcut.

3- Right click on the icon and go to properties then change icon. You can either download the icon file by searching for it. It must be a .ico file. If it is an image then you can use the below link to convert it to .ico. Or you can navigate to the game exe file and select it. Then it will use the same icon for the shortcut.

I have part one and 2 and 3 all editions, but the icons are normal.

You have 3 options to solve it.

1- Try the tool in the below link.

2- Recreate the shortcut.

3- Right click on the icon and go to properties then change icon. You can either download the icon file by searching for it. It must be a .ico file. If it is an image then you can use the below link to convert it to .ico. Or you can navigate to the game exe file and select it. Then it will use the same icon for the shortcut.

It worked! I can't believe it. Finally, after all this time. Can't thank you enough. I used the last option, downloaded the image, converted it then uploaded and it's perfect.

Can you or any of the guys here please help me with something else related to a game? I have the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 from GoG. The problem is that whenever I click on it, it opens the GoG window, I press play, get Syncing 0%, then a sound like an error and the game doesn't start. I don't get it, I contacted the guys from the website and they told me that it should work.

The only thing that could work, they told me, was to download and install this. But I am reluctant to do it, because upon trying to do it I got a message that it isn't safe, not to mention that it's not compatible with the full game, as you can see.

Do you have any ideas on how to make it work?

There is an option in steam to start offline so that it does not contact any servers. If you don't require it to be online then try to find that option on the GOG platform .

It worked! I can't believe it. Finally, after all this time. Can't thank you enough. I used the last option, downloaded the image, converted it then uploaded and it's perfect.

Can you or any of the guys here please help me with something else related to a game? I have the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 from GoG. The problem is that whenever I click on it, it opens the GoG window, I press play, get Syncing 0%, then a sound like an error and the game doesn't start. I don't get it, I contacted the guys from the website and they told me that it should work.

The only thing that could work, they told me, was to download and install this. But I am reluctant to do it, because upon trying to do it I got a message that it isn't safe, not to mention that it's not compatible with the full game, as you can see.

Do you have any ideas on how to make it work?
Make sure to not move the new ICO file that you created. It will always be linked to the shortcut.

Yes I know. the point of my response is to do a search and not just to reply without any effort.

Anyway, There are two tips in the below link on how to do so.

Try them and let us know.

I don't have GOG full version to try such features. I usually just get "unofficial" games so that it works without any issues.

Gog Galaxy needs internet access to sync
1st option is allow that and 2nd option is tell it not to sync
configure.png

Attachments

• sync.png
    sync.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 26
Yes I know. the point of my response is to do a search and not just to reply without any effort.

Anyway, There are two tips in the below link on how to do so.

Try them and let us know.

I don't have GOG full version to try such features. I usually just get "unofficial" games so that it works without any issues.
Thank you!

I did, and the result is the same. It's not that I haven't tried before. I searched on forums, I got in contact with the GOG guys, and nothing. Nothing worked, their only solution was to install that mod version that I told you about which I am reluctant to do. Not only because I don't know how safe it is, but also because it doesn't cover the whole game.

M&M3 doesn't have an overlay its too old but the game should sync unless the folder is locked somehow

open the show folder tab and tell us if you have a games folder in there + what address you installed the game too... also lets be clear, you installed the Galaxy build not the off line installer?

Screenshot (1089).png

Screenshot (1090).png

Back