Windows 7 All USB ports stopped working

evaju

Both USB ports at my laptop (Toshiba Satellite C650, Windows 7 home premium, SP1, x64) stopped working after plugging in and unplugging several Garmin Forerunner 305 watches in a row.

Everything looks all right in the device manage (no exclamations marks).
I have reinstalled everything that has something to do with USB in the device manager, several times. Updated BIOS and used Windows update to get all the latest drivers and fixes.

I have taken out the battery and let the computer "rest" for several hours without any power supply.

I have tried to do some changes in registry key according to these instructions: USB ports suddenly stopped working in Windows 7 RC1 - Microsoft Answers
(I managed to delete Lowerfilters).

And of course I have tried with different USB-sticks, mouses, external hard drive etc. There is no power in the ports. When I plug in my Garmin Watch it does not charge.

I installed and tried two registry cleaners (TweakNow RegCleaner 2011 and Glary utilities).
After using them I got some hope back when I got a bit of reaction from one of the ports. A few times after plugging in something it started to install the driver but stopped immediately - telling me that the driver cannot be installed because the device is not plugged in (while it is).

I consider to do system restore to factory settings but before that I have to copy and save everything which is a bit complicated since non of the ports is working. If the restore to factory settings does not work, then I believe there is a problem with the hardware and I have to get the motherboard replaced.

Is there anything else I could do to save my computer?

Back
Top Bottom