Windows 7 Allow download through Windows Firewall

sheltiephil

Hi, can I specifically allow a download of an execution file from a trusted website through Windows 7 firewall? I have excluded the file in webshield and real time shield of Avast Free. I have turned off SmartScreen Filter in IE9 and lowered IE9 security to medium. I don't have any other real-time protection. Cyberlink have sent me execution files to reinstall one of their products, so I know I can trust the file, but Avast and IE9 have blocked the download. Could Windows Firewall be blocking it? - Regards, Phil

Hi, can I specifically allow a download of an execution file from a trusted website through Windows 7 firewall? I have excluded the file in webshield and real time shield of Avast Free. I have turned off SmartScreen Filter in IE9 and lowered IE9 security to medium. I don't have any other real-time protection. Cyberlink have sent me execution files to reinstall one of their products, so I know I can trust the file, but Avast and IE9 have blocked the download. Could Windows Firewall be blocking it? - Regards, Phil

My third attempt to download this needed and trusted file just failed! The pop-up in the IE9 downloader reads something like: "The publisher of .................... couldn't be trusted".

The publisher is Cyberlink. The file is a special reinstallation file supplied specifically to me by Cyberlink because of a corruption in their PowerDirector 11 program.

So far, my three failed downloads have taken about 6 hours, and about 1GB of download allowance from my provider has been wasted!!!!!!!

Please... How do I tell Internet Explorer 9 that the file and publisher are trusted????????

- Phil

Try looking in Internet options on the security tab. Mine is set on medium high and I've never had problems downloading.
Joe

Try looking in Internet options on the security tab. Mine is set on medium high and I've never had problems downloading.
Joe

Hi Joe, thank you for replying. My IE9 security is normally set on medium high and has not previously blocked safe downloads on that setting. The downloads that were blocked were in fact OK, but not recognized as safe. So, I had to make major adjustments to IE9 security under the Advanced tab. I had to uncheck certification, authentication and signatures to allow the needed execution files through. I had to make similar radical changes in Avast anti-virus settings. The installation files came from trusted publisher Cyberlink. My Cyberlink video editing program had become corrupted and could not be fully uninstalled to allow reinstallation. Cyberlink kindly sent me custom execution files to overcome my problem but had not warned me that security would block them. Anyway, following those security adjustments the files finally downloaded and I successfully uninstalled and reinstalled Cyberlink PowerDirector. Full scans with Avast, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware confirmed that my system remains clean. So now my usual security settings have been restored. Anyway, thanks for your interest Joe and greetings from little Tasmania.

Sorry missed the part about it being fixed, before I started typing.

Thanks for replying Mike. I read your suggestions in the email notifying your initial post here and found them interesting in spite of having eventually succeeded in enabling the downloads.

I've always been the only user of the desktop and don't have to log in on boot-up, so I haven't looked into the UAC settings, however, I might turn off UAC if this is still an option and a wise thing to do. Must investigate. Somebody else (outside this forum) also suggested that Google Chrome was less likely than IE to block a download from a little-known source. All of my downloads apart from this special rescue by Cyberlink have been and will be from well-known sources, but I should explore Chrome a bit more. I generally like the wide range of security settings in IE, and the usability of favorites. Don't like having to get an ID code from Google by text on the mobile to gain access to my Google account and alter the few settings in Chrome on the desktop. I've been happy with Avast Free, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, but will follow your other suggestion to look again at Windows Defender. Will review it some more. Anyway, hope not to have to download such unique rescue files again that looked so suspicious to my security software. Thanks again, Mike - Regards, Phil

Hi

You're Welcome.
And I'm glad you got it fixed.

Personally I just can't use IE after getting used to Chrome.
It just seems so much easier to use to me.

You type everything in one box, you create favorites by just dragging the link to the favorites bar, and it's fast.
Plus I have an added reason, for some unknown reason IE can not show my Comcast Home Page.

It's been like that ever since I switched to Windows 8 with no resolution, and the mail app, can't access my Comcast email either.
Maybe Microsoft and Comcast are feuding?

Just one of those weird computer things I guess.

Mike

Ps, Chrome will import all of your favorites from Internet Explorer, so you don't have to set them all up again.

Last edited:
Back