Windows 8 Always open Metro IE 10 using Desktop version of IE 10

Medico

Do you hate the Metro version of IE 10. There is an easy way to always use the IE 10 Desktop version. Open Internet Options, Programs tabs and select Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop. You can also check Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop. These 2 things will allow you to always use the desktop version.

IE10OnDesktopAlways.jpg

Thanks for that, Ted. I'm not sure if it's a proposed feature, but changing your default browser will also cause the metro link to open the desktop version of IE.

That's the whole idea. I just did not like the Metro version of IE at all. This change allows me to use the Desktop version of IE whenever I choose to open IE from anywhere in Win 8 CP.

On the other hand, I have a notebook as my primary system and I'm frequently on the road, so the metro version is preferred by me. It features no add-on support, which means there's nothing slowing the browser down, and there's nothing using a lot of power which is the most important thing to me, when talking mobility. Honestly the only plugins I use on IE are Flash and Java anyway, and with HTML5 eventually set to take over video streaming and more, I think the metro version will become more popular among users later on.

Thanks for the tip :)

This doesnt work 100%.

Even if you select the button that says 'Choose how to open your links: "Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop"... STILL links open to internet explorer windows 8 app often. Notably if you are browsing the people 'whats new' section and you see tweets with links in them. You click them and it opens the dreaded app.

Back