Windows 8 AMD Catalyst stops working

BlessYahowah

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with an XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 video card. My version of the Catalyst driver is 2013.0328.2218.38225, which I believe is the latest-greatest-up-to-datest one. All Windows updates have been applied.

Every so often - once a day or more - I'll get a popup telling me that the Catalyst driver has stopped working. That's it. No more information is given and there is no impact on system performance that I can detect. After a few seconds the popup will go away and everything continues as though nothing had happened.

Any ideas what might be causing the driver to stop working? Any known fix, patch, etc.?

Thanks.

Hi,

I used to get this issue too and it is very annoying. Have you tried removing all traces of previous driver installs and then installing the graphics driver?
This app will help to that end:
Driver Fusion - The Complete Device And Driver Solution

Uninstall the AMD driver and then run the above app. Only remove the AMD drivers as you can get issues if you remove anything else.
Download and run the new driver:
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software ? Download the latest drivers for your graphics products

Thank you, kemical. I couldn't get Driver Fusion to run. As soon as I double-click on the desktop icon, Windows throws up a "program has stopped working" message. DRAT!

I am reluctant to spend $17 for the Premium product when the free version won't even run.

Per your suggestion, I have removed the AMD drivers and will try a reload of the drivers I just downloaded this morning. Any idea what causes the driver stoppage?

Try running the driver fusion app by right clicking and running as admin.

I half remember that there is a way of stopping these messages by turning off something in the CCC but for the life of me i cannot remember (I've since gone over to Nvidia). I'll ask a colleague and get back to you..

Back