Windows 7 AMD CPU Temperature Info?

Siben

Hey all.

I just put together a new system and installed an AMD Phenom II x4 995 (3.2Ghz).

This is my first AMD chip and a significant upgrade from my old Pentium D but how hot should the chip run?

I've got an ASUS motherboard for it and I'm running PC Probe II and the CPU temp seems to jump from ~35 to 45 to 48 degrees Celsius. (Current values for the CPU and Motherboard temp sensors at time of posting are 42 and 32 degrees Celsius respectively.)

Is that too high? I'm concerned because it's hotter than my old Pentium ran but I don't know if it's just because the new processor has two more cores and is faster or if I messed up the thermal compound when I was installing the heatsink/fan (which was a bitch, tbh.)

Here's the case I currently have: Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-E8L Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
It's aluminum and has one 120mm fan in the front and another in the back to pull air through the case.

Thanks for any info. Sorry if I'm overreacting but I'm nervous with it being my first AMD chip and not having the cash to pay for another one if I toast this one ><

Hi Siben,
that doesn't sound too bad actually. I run my 940 @ 3.6GHz and temps are 35c idle-50c load. I should imagine that your CPU has got some 'burning in' before you see it's true idle and load temperatures. Running something like Prime95 for a few hours will burn your CPU in no problem.
Do you know which brand of thermal 'goo' you used? I only ask as some take a while before the temps settle (usually 12hrs) also which cooler are you using?

I'm using the heatsink and fan that came with the processor, and it had thermal compound pre-applied to it.

I just finished putting it together around 6am this morning and it was in standby mode most of the day so it's barely seen any use, I guess I'll have to wait and see what it does after a few days 'eh?

Oh ok, so your using the stock stuff... Then your temps make even more sense then as they sound about right for that type of cooler.
I use one of these: Link Removed - Invalid URL
They are one of the best coolers on the market especially on price.. ;).

I would at least try burning your cpu in a little even if it's just to see what temps you'll be pulling under load..

48 Celcius degrees at burn is almost fantastic for a quad core CPU. My Intel Core 2 Quad heats up to 68 degrees in summer at heavy continual burn, for example when playing chess or Crysis/COD 4 MW 2. So far I'm using standard intel cooler, no overclocking. Should admit I often do multitasking.

Intel Core 2 Quads (as opposed to I7's) consume 95 W, Phenoms - 125 W, but the trick is that Intel never gets lower than 2 Ghz when idle, while AMD lowers its standard clocked frequency to as low as 800 Mhz.

For both AMD and Intel, the critical temperature that shouldn't be reached is 70 degrees Celcius or 160 Fahrenheit.

Back
Top Bottom