Windows 8 AMD Graphics Designations?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I seem to be having a problem deciding on which driver I need for a new ASUS 27 inch Touchscreen unit.

The model is a ET2702IGTH or possibly on retail sites an ET 2702-03, but the sites say the 2 GB AMD GPU is a Radeon HD8890A. When I load a driver that I think is the correct one, it is showing as a Radeon R9 M275X in the Device Manager.

The Graphics driver on the ASUS site is from Mid 2013, which is almost a year old. So it would seem a newer driver might be necessary. I would just like to check to make sure the driver I used is OK for this system.

The file name from the AMD site is 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql and appears to be an all inclusive type of driver.

So, did I mess up and need a different driver, or is this one good??? It seems to be working so far, I suppose my inexperience with AMD Graphics products is showing... :hide:

Thanks.

Hey Saltgrass.
Nice new toy.
I'm not expert on AMD graphics cards but searching the AMD site for drivers for both the HD8890A and the R9 M275X they both indicate that the correct driver is the one you have chosen.
So my best guess is that you are good to go.
What processor does that machine have in it?

It has an i7 4770, so it should be fast. I love the touchscreen and I seem to be getting used to it very quickly. The 8.1 or Update one added some versatility to some aspects of the touch screen, and I can certainly see why the "Start Button" was added..

But there is one problem. The system runs fine while it is running, but when I put it to sleep a second time, it Blue Screens when it tries to sleep. Hence the quest for a Video driver to see if it would help. The dump files do not really show a cause, just say the analysis is inconclusive. Currently waiting on ASUS to get back to me, and if that doesn't work, I suppose it will be going back for Warranty Service... Having an OEM system under warranty is certainly tying my hands when it comes to troubleshooting.. :)

Thanks for the response, take care.

I just discovered that for my computer, the package I downloaded from AMD for the specific hardware was incompatible with the OEM stuff. Go directly to ASUS for drivers.

I just discovered that for my computer, the package I downloaded from AMD for the specific hardware was incompatible with the OEM stuff. Go directly to ASUS for drivers.
In a way that has already been done. Because the Driver I installed did not help the situation and I had uninstalled all the bloatware I could, I reset the system.

After the reset, an ASUS Easy Update utility started up and installed another Graphics driver, so I will assume that is the latest they have. But the problem persists..

I hate to take the unit back for Warranty, because they may send me another one and the current one with the 2560x1440 resolution has no bad pixels.

I just got a response from ASUS so I will try going through their suggestions to see if it helps. But the Video driver situation has been resolved it appears...

Thanks.

Well ASUS suggested Resetting the Bios to Default Values and then Resetting the system. Both of which I had already done several times. Then they suggested sending it back for Warranty service which I have now done.

I don't expect to get any feedback about what happened but if I do I will post it.

Thanks again...

Well, it looks like the problem is finally solved. Best Buy (Geek Squad) ended up breaking the 27 inch Touch Screen. So I swapped the Asus for a Dell XPS 27. This one has Nvidia graphics.

I think I will be better off in the end... :)

Back
Top Bottom