Windows 7 "An unexpected error occured" while trying to access network properties.

yoyorocks

I'm trying to access the network settings on my Windows 7. When I click on "Properties" I get a message saying "An unexpected error occured."

Tried this solution on Microsoft KB, didn't work - I get an error when I enter ole32.dll in the "Run" box.

This is the error:

"C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll module was installed, but DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80070005."

Thank you.

I'm trying to access the network settings on my Windows 7. When I click on "Properties" I get a message saying "An unexpected error occured."

Tried this solution on Microsoft KB, didn't work - I get an error when I enter ole32.dll in the "Run" box.

This is the error:

"C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll module was installed, but DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80070005."

Thank you.
Try this and see if the registration is successful
Click Start Orb then All Programs then Accessories, then right click on the command prompt and choose "Run as Administrator"
at the command prompt type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll

Again, I receive the same error.

EDIT: Nope, I don't. When I ran as administrator, I got a message saying that "the DllRegisterServer was successfully completed for ole32.dll," but it doesn't make any difference - I still can't access the settings.

Last edited:
Again, I receive the same error.

EDIT: Nope, I don't. When I ran as administrator, I got a message saying that "the DllRegisterServer was successfully completed for ole32.dll," but it doesn't make any difference - I still can't access the settings.
Again run the command prompt as administrator and type
sfc /scannow

did you also manage to re-register the netshell.dll if not please do so.
Also did you reboot the computer after you completed the dynamic link library registration.
Has this computer been the victim of any recent virus or spyware problems?

did you also manage to re-register the netshell.dll if not please do so.
Also did you reboot the computer after you completed the dynamic link library registration.
Has this computer been the victim of any recent virus or spyware problems?

I tried it completely again but again, it didn't help. Plus, I got a bluescreen (there is no problem from it).
There weren't any recent virus or spyware problems but the last week I was continuosly getting bluescreens (I got it like 20 times in 1 week) but I all survived by restoring the system. Does it make a difference?

I tried it completely again but again, it didn't help. Plus, I got a bluescreen (there is no problem from it).
There weren't any recent virus or spyware problems but the last week I was continuosly getting bluescreens (I got it like 20 times in 1 week) but I all survived by restoring the system. Does it make a difference?
I'm not sure I understand this post, but if you have had and are continuing to have blue screens, then perhaps you might want to concentrate on addressing that problem before continuing further. Try reading this post http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html
And then you may want to create a new thread here Link Removed due to 404 Error
with some specifics regarding your blue screen errors as well a zip or rar attachment of your mini dump files. There are some good people in that sub-forum that can help you with that.
Did you run the system file checker application as I suggested, and did it find any problems?

I'm not sure I understand this post, but if you have had and are continuing to have blue screens, then perhaps you might want to concentrate on addressing that problem before continuing further. Try reading this post http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html
And then you may want to create a new thread here Link Removed due to 404 Error
with some specifics regarding your blue screen errors as well a zip or rar attachment of your mini dump files. There are some good people in that sub-forum that can help you with that.
Did you run the system file checker application as I suggested, and did it find any problems?

The bluescreens seem to have stopped right now, if they begin again, I will address that problem.

The system checker didn't find any errors. I don't know what to do...

Thank you.

Seems like this isn't going anywhere (no offense), is there any other way to change my DNS settings?

Thank you

P.S. @Trouble: You seem to be the only one posting in these forums? =P

The bluescreens seem to have stopped right now, if they begin again, I will address that problem.

The system checker didn't find any errors. I don't know what to do...

Thank you.
Try this and see if it makes any difference
launch a command prompt as administrtor
type
netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.txt (hit the enter key)
and then type
netsh Winsock reset (hit the enter key)
and reboot.
Not sure if that will help in your particular issue, but it might be worth a try.

Try this and see if it makes any difference
launch a command prompt as administrtor
type
and then type
and reboot.
Not sure if that will help in your particular issue, but it might be worth a try.

Again, no difference. Still getting that "An unexpected error occured" message and the error for ole32.dll.

Again, no difference. Still getting that "An unexpected error occured" message and the error for ole32.dll.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the results of your "sfc /scannow" Did you do this? If so, what were the results? If not, I recommend you do so. You can also always run chkdsk as well.

It's always wise to verify your hardware / hard drive with issues like this. Also, when did the lack of network properties access begin?

Have you scanned your computer for malicious software? What does your msconfig for startup look like?

Same problem ...

Hello,

I have the same problem like this:

I recognized this while updating windows yesterday and getting the error "80070005". In addition to the problem above I can not access to windows firewall settings, only throug the advanced adminstrator settings.

This didn't work either:
and then type
and reboot.

A fact I don't understand is, that the network is working properly. I can access to other network components and to the internet. But the network is not listed in the "networksharingcenter" (I use a German Win 7 Prof x64 version, I hope that's the right translation).

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the results of your "sfc /scannow" Did you do this? If so, what were the results? If not, I recommend you do so. You can also always run chkdsk as well.

It's always wise to verify your hardware / hard drive with issues like this. Also, when did the lack of network properties access begin?

Have you scanned your computer for malicious software? What does your msconfig for startup look like?

The sfc didn't show any problems at all. This began after I updated (I think).
I don't know what msconfig is. What should I do?

The sfc didn't show any problems at all. This began after I updated (I think).
I don't know what msconfig is. What should I do?

Click start and type in "MSCONFIG" from there hit the Start Up tab and post a picture of what you see please.

Thanks.

I was getting this same error. I noticed you said it happened after a System Restore. In my case it began occurring after I applied a Windows image to a formatted PC. I had created the image from a hard drive where Windows had not properly shut down. Anyway, I noticed that the SID (security identifier) of the user was different than that of the user on the computer that had made the image. (Even though the usernames were the same) Because of this difference in SID's, the computer was giving the error 0x80070005 - access denied. It happened when viewing network properties (though the network was working) and when trying to uninstall a program from the Control Panel I got an error that Windows Installer was not correctly installed. I went through the registry and changed all instances of the SID from the old to the new SID and that didn't fix the problem. I had to re-image the PC (essentially, re-install Windows) because in my case I had no data to save and that method was the fastest to resolve the problem. Something you might want to check is whether your user has a new SID after system restore, and whether there is a way to access the old SID. Hope this helps. P.S. Sorry for the formatting, I made paragraphs in my post but I can't get them to stick? Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom