Windows 7 And the Winner is ....

jimbo45

Hi guys
After testing different Windows OS'es -- I still have to say that Windows XP PRO 64 Bit edition with SP2 stiill rules the roost in speed etc by quite a large margin.

Using asus P5QL -CM Mobo with 8GB RAM and Intel Quad Q9400 2.66 GHZ.
Using built in video driver (Intel G45 / G43 express chipset) and built in VIA High Definition Audio.

Not recommending people go back to this OS as it will eventually be a "Dinosaur" OS and you might not find drivers for it -- however for my applications that's not a problem.

I can also only compare XP-64 up to Jan 2009 with service packs (SP2) and POST SP2 fixes applied and haven't got an equivalent W7 X-64 bit version to a well tuned XP-64 system yet. It's not really fair comparing a Beta to a system with TWO service pack upgrades applied (SP2).

I'm impressed so far with W7 and will migrate to it in due course but XP 64 bit (if you don't have any issues with hardware) still takes a LOT of beating -- this runs total RINGS around VISTA x-64 even Vista with SP1 applied).

I'm just a bit disappointed XP-64 wasn't allowed to "grow" rather than the whole VISTA cludge -- W7 addresses the right ideas but it's a pity no XP-64 ==>W7 X-64 upgrade.

Anybody out therre / got a later build of W7 X-64 than 7000 as I'll be really interested in measuring how performance stacks up compared with XP 64 bit version.

Still surprised how fast XP-64 bit version is compared to all its successors.

Before you go out there and install XP Pro X-64 -- remember this is now a Dinosaur OS -- nothing is being maintained or developed for it. My poist here was only to show that much as I like W7 so far it still has a bit to go yet in performance etc. And of course I'll also go for Retail W7 X-64 but will continue to run XP x-64 alongside for a little while until W7 X-64 can take over completely.

I can't comment on W7 X-32 as this runs just fine on any hardware I've thrown at it but as with all 32 bit os'es it has limitations and with nearly all new PC's being 64 bit enabled and cheaper RAM the progress to 64 bit os'es is enivitable (even later for Netbooks).

Cheers
jimbo

Hi guys
After testing different Windows OS'es -- I still have to say that Windows XP PRO 64 Bit edition with SP2 stiill rules the roost in speed etc by quite a large margin.

Using asus P5QL -CM Mobo with 8GB RAM and Intel Quad Q9400 2.66 GHZ.
Using built in video driver (Intel G45 / G43 express chipset) and built in VIA High Definition Audio.

Not recommending people go back to this OS as it will eventually be a "Dinosaur" OS and you might not find drivers for it -- however for my applications that's not a problem.

I can also only compare XP-64 up to Jan 2009 with service packs (SP2) and POST SP2 fixes applied and haven't got an equivalent W7 X-64 bit version to a well tuned XP-64 system yet. It's not really fair comparing a Beta to a system with TWO service pack upgrades applied (SP2).

I'm impressed so far with W7 and will migrate to it in due course but XP 64 bit (if you don't have any issues with hardware) still takes a LOT of beating -- this runs total RINGS around VISTA x-64 even Vista with SP1 applied).

I'm just a bit disappointed XP-64 wasn't allowed to "grow" rather than the whole VISTA cludge -- W7 addresses the right ideas but it's a pity no XP-64 ==>W7 X-64 upgrade.

Anybody out therre / got a later build of W7 X-64 than 7000 as I'll be really interested in measuring how performance stacks up compared with XP 64 bit version.

Still surprised how fast XP-64 bit version is compared to all its successors.

Before you go out there and install XP Pro X-64 -- remember this is now a Dinosaur OS -- nothing is being maintained or developed for it. My poist here was only to show that much as I like W7 so far it still has a bit to go yet in performance etc. And of course I'll also go for Retail W7 X-64 but will continue to run XP x-64 alongside for a little while until W7 X-64 can take over completely.

I can't comment on W7 X-32 as this runs just fine on any hardware I've thrown at it but as with all 32 bit os'es it has limitations and with nearly all new PC's being 64 bit enabled and cheaper RAM the progress to 64 bit os'es is enivitable (even later for Netbooks).

Cheers
jimbo
Let it go........Jimbo!!
The lights flickering :rolleyes:

I like my XP x64 Edition too. It really is very fast and stable. I am also disappointed that it remained the unknown O/S.

Good to hear that, but my experience with XP 64 wasn't very good.
Dell Quadcore with 8 GB RAM. Maybe my system was designed for Vista 64, which it runs great.
I still think Windows 7 64 bit is the speed champ on my system. By quite a lot too.
MS should support XP 64 if everyone has been experiencing results like you. They kind of owe it to their customers.

Speedy yet Ugly

I am a bit of a moaner when it comes to the look and feel and style of software and hardware. If I was a bit dim, I would probably be a Mac user, but I have more sense to buy one of those solidified lumps of useless diarrhoea. Instead, I own a rather modest Asus system, with a puny 161 gigabyte hard drive, and a puny two and a half gigs of memory.

I have used Windows XP SP2 32 bit in the past, and if there's one thing I'm going to say for it, it's not going to be anything good. In contrast with previous versions, only a few things changed. I agree that it was a lot more stable than previous versions of Windows, had a few more features, and was overly faster, more reliable and more secure.

However, the looks of XP were far from dazzling. I look at Vista and I think 'Wow, I can see through my Windows'. I look at 7 and think 'Wow, I can see through my windows, even when they're maximized, and even make everything transparent so that I can see my desktop'. Unfortunately, when I look at XP, I think 'Ewe, a mass of thick, blue, chunky bars invading my computer'.

Luckily, downloadable themes from sites such as ThemeXP and Stardock helped me live through the years, and now I am happily duel booting Vista Ultimate and 7 Ultimate together.

Priceless :razz:

Back