Windows 10 Anniversary update issue

Updatitis

Beginning with the anniversary update (and all subsequent updates) my computer will not restart during the updating process. All I get is the loading icon at the bottom of the screen with a black background. Eventually I have to force the computer to shutdown (often more than once) before it will get passed the icon and to the desktop. At that point I will check to see if the update was, in fact, installed. So far it has each time.

Any ideas how to correct this issue?

Hi,
try running these scans and then the troubleshooter:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Update Troubleshooter
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the AU update. You are not alone! We are seeing lots of issues there, but I personally am not having any. In case kemical's suggestion does not solve your problem,:lightbulb: here's a link to a post I did earlier this week for another forum user here with AU update problems: Update Problem and Question.

The biggest thing that causes problems for people on this is failed hardware due to aging of your components, mainly RAM and Hard Drive.o_O So, if the computer in question here did NOT come with W10 pre-installed from the factory on it, and it came with an earlier version of Windows (Vista-W7/W8x) we suggest that you backup all your personal data to external media (if you haven't already done so) before proceeding to test your hardware and then you can apply additional software solutions such as In-Place Upgrade, W10 Reset, W10 Reinstallation, etc.

It's very important to realize, and most users forget this or do not know about it all; hard drives are only designed to last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops.:shocked: If you've had your PC since it was new in box, and have never replaced the hard drive, it's very likely (I estimate around 85% chance) it's already failing or failed if the computer is 3 years old or older. W8 computers came out in 2011 (PCs made then are now 5 years old), and W8.1 computers came in 2013 (PCs made then are now 3 years old). This means if your computer came with any earlier version of Windows than W10, it's very likely to have hard drive problems, even if your computer seems to function otherwise normally.o_O

If you decide to attempt to repair this problem yourself, the post I linked you to above, contains step-by-step instructions on how to do this. It also contains the various software solutions such as W10 reset and reinstallation that can repair your OS if it's corrupted at the Registry level. If you are not able to wrap your head around this, you might consider taking your PC into your local licensed Computer Repair Tech and paying him to test your hardware for you, and while it's in the shop you can get an estimate for them to install the latest W10 AU (the September update) and get it working for you and fix the Reboot/Black screen problem.

Let us know how it goes.:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
try running these scans and then the troubleshooter:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

When I type sfc/ scannow I get the following message:

Another servicing or repair operation is currently running.
Wait for this to finish and run sfc again.

I'm definitely not running any sort of operation.

Make certain your antivirus program is disabled when running the SFC command, retest please.

In the meantime, do you have your personal data backed up yet? While we're waiting to hear back from kemical, I would do that if you haven't already done so. From there, you're going to need to begin hardware testing if the SFC command doesn't come backout without error, or doesn't resolve your problem. Did you read my entire Post??

<<<BBJ>>>

I completed both scans and below are the results. And yes, I backed up everything just after the anniversary update. Since I no longer trust the desktop I've been using my other computer exclusively.

scan1_zpsjydetwdi.jpg

Last edited:
Man I feel you. I had tons of issues with Windows 10 AU either not completing the update or once I got the update to take I was getting BSODs.NOt that I'm suggesting this. But I ended up downloading the latest Win10 Pro 64bit via the Media Creation Tool, burning a DVD of it, then doing a completely new installation of it. Took me like 2 installs to get it working right but after that HUGE pain in the ass and a wasted weekend of sitting in front of the computer waiting, it's finally running smooth.

I have a Frankenstein BestBuy computer, half with retail parts other half with stuff bought off Newegg. I took out everything that didn't originally come with the computer. Then installed off the DVD. Did a few Windows Updates after that. Installed the drivers FIRST for my Newegg bought parts. Then one by one put them back in, let Windows find it, make sure the drivers matched, then shut down and did it all over again till I was done.

I don't blame Microsoft. I think because it's still kind of new all the MANUFACTURES haven't kept up with updating their drivers to make sure their components. So it seems like you've tried all the software tricks you can. Maybe you should try what i did? Hope my suggestions can help.

Back