Windows 7 Anti-Viruses on Multiple Computers

Heaven or Hell

I'll begin by apologizing if this isn't in the right forum, though when I read the description, it says for threads that don't fit any specific sub-forum underneath, so I chose this one, and I used google prior to posting this.

I was wondering if one, I can have my Kaspersky AV to run on more than one computer while paying the same price of it every year. You don't have to pay the price of an AV for each computer you install it on, right?

Normally it's a per computer unless they make some type of package. There are some good free ones too.
Joe

You are likely to have licensing problems and I would expect your multiple install to be detected on downloading AV updates. I just use Microsoft Security Essentials - it's free and I have no problems.

But, isn't Microsoft Security Essentials virtually the same as Avast Free, AVG Free etc. in terms of safety? Because Avast and AVG failed me both before.

Second, I find it weird that, on my friend's computer his Symantec Anti-Virus has never expired...as in he didn't have to renew anything. I thought usually you have to pay yearly for that, but he doesn't pay at all yet his Symantec is always on his computer...is there a version of Symantec that is good forever (does not need paying to be renewed)?

Last edited:
MSE actually is IMO better than the other free AV's because it does check for everything (mailware etc), it also has a smaller footprint so runs quicker etc...

But of course I am a Big MS fan so I am bias toward them :p

Basher

All AV software has to play an endless game of chicken and egg with malware but I have found MSSE to be excellent. I run mbam weekly just to make sure as I can that nothing has crept thru and as I said earlier - I have no problems.

My friend's Symantec AV that he got never had to be renewed...and he's been using it for about 2 years. Why is that? What AV out there doesn't have to get renewed?

This Symantec Anti-Virus he's been using has not had to be renewed once, and it's actually been about 2 years since. Are some AV's just that long before you have to renew them or something? He got the disc from a university by the way. Also it did not need a code or anything to get installed, so what is, this like an Anti-Virus that's good to go forever or something?

Nope, not very interesting. Many top tier AntiVirus vendors are offering 2 and 3 year licensing solutions. But more likely the university has some type of Volume/Enterprise licensing deal with Symantec and as long as the Software Assurance policies are kept current, the end users will probably never notice anything updates and upgrades will just continue as normal without much need for end user input.

Nope, not very interesting. Many top tier AntiVirus vendors are offering 2 and 3 year licensing solutions. But more likely the university has some type of Volume/Enterprise licensing deal with Symantec and as long as the Software Assurance policies are kept current, the end users will probably never notice anything updates and upgrades will just continue as normal without much need for end user input.
The bold part. Is this saying some installed AV's may not need to be renewed ever? I mean, my brother has the disc but the AV itself is not over at the university. It's on his computer at home...I wonder if this could get installed on any other set of computers for permanent Anti-Virus. :)

The bold part. Is this saying some installed AV's may not need to be renewed ever?

- "as long as the Software Assurance policies are kept current".

I mean, my brother has the disc but the AV itself is not over at the university. It's on his computer at home...I wonder if this could get installed on any other set of computers for permanent Anti-Virus. :)

- if he has already been using the key on his own computer, and now he starts using it somewhere else, in this case Symantec may ban his key.

I wonder if this could get installed on any other set of computers for permanent Anti-Virus. :)
The issue is not what you could/can do, but rather what you are entitled to do "legally" under the terms of the software licensing agreement.
As an example, in the way back distant past, I did a considerable amount of work for an organization called "Catholic Charities", they had multiple offices and multiple computers in each office. During the course of this work, when I would set up a new computer in one of their offices, I was provided a disc to install Symantec Antivirus on the new computer. This disc belonged to them (Catholic Charities) and was a product covered under an agreement between them and Symantec (could have been a site license, or volume license, or enterprise license, etc.) for which they subscribed to an annual software assurance program and payed a fee to keep the terms and conditions of that agreement current.
Now, could I have brought the disc home and installed the software on my computer...., probably, would it have worked....., probably. Did I have any legal right to the software...., absolutely not. It would have been stealing, plain and simple.
Most commercial software (not freeware) products are all subject to a EULA (End User License Agreement) and the conditions of its' use are defined therein. To summarize, if you didn't pay for it, then it is not yours to use under any circumstances except in special time restricted "Trial" versions which may be available for electronic download.

cybercore

- Does not clarify to me. I asked since taking the disc and installing it somewhere else may not have to do with that. I thought the software assurance thing was between Symantec and the university/company that had it, meaning it would have had to be installed there because they have like a special code or key with them only.

- My friend installed the AV with no program key. Saw it with my own eyes. He did it on more than one computer and he just ran the setup file and bam. This is Symantec by the way.

Trouble

In his case it wasn't stealing. He got it from a University. They gave it to him in a special bag as courtesy for something he did or probably just because he was a paying student there. I think it's the latter.

Last edited:
My friend's Symantec AV that he got never had to be renewed...and he's been using it for about 2 years. Why is that? What AV out there doesn't have to get renewed?

Did he check his credit card statements closely? Sometimes they sneak in automatic renewal in.
Joe

No I'm pretty sure he doesn't pay for it. He no longer uses it even, but, I know it still works since it's on one of my computers. I guess it's the 2-3 year thing since it hasn't been that long since I installed it.

Also a question if no one minds, someone on the first page said Kaspersky does 3 computer package (can install on up to 3 computers) where can I check for that information? Is it usually on the disc case? Sometimes info is printed in very small fine letters so that's why I'm wondering. If all fails I guess I can just call the vendor (Best Buy) since that's where I bought it from. They also gave me the activiation code over the phone once when I didn't know it.

:fdance:

Last edited:
Back