Antivirus for server 2012r2

Richard Allan

What is the best for our terminal servers running 2012r2. I have MSE running on them at the moment but it isn't really built for this operating system it seems as it needs to be installed with compatibility set to win7 and with a /disableoslimit switch
It also seems to hog cpu at times freezing users out

Anti-v programs are for desktop systems and should never be run on a server... I'm not surprised it's sucking up cpu but why do you have it?

imo a software firewall (eg endian) is fine for basic security on a small system (10-20) but that assumes you know how to set one up.

If you had an out of date (2003 or 08) server then fair enough… pay someone like Avast (Avast File Server Security | Stand-alone Antivirus Protection for Company Servers) to plug the holes but a server 12r2 is already way beyond the skill set of all but the most resourceful hacker. Imo the only thing accomplished by installing a anti-v here is less resources for the actual server to do it's job… however it's your system mate

Typically in a business environment you will have AV on both servers and desktop, a decent border firewall. For email on premises you would have an inline or route your email first through some kind of spam/av gateway that will route them to your mail server. If your email is external then you could have firewall with spam/av scanning capabilities. Sophos offers some nice appliances that offer end point protection, spam/av scanning, firewall capabilities etc. Their cheapest one I believe is only around $400.

Back